Join Shelby Forums Today

Brake Upgrade gone dodgy 2007 GT500

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Drucito, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Drucito

Drucito New Member

I have a 2007 GT500, and the previous owner added a Baer big brake setup on the front - vented 14" discs plus brake pads and I'm using racing grade brake oil. It also has 20" Shelby razor wheels. All parts are less than 18 months old, and it's not driven very frequently.

My question is -- i'm getting some mild squeaking from the brakes at normal speed and serious vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds when braking, and would like to know if anyone has experienced similar issues with aftermarket brakes. The mechanic i spoke with told me that these brakes tend to overheat (even with vented discs) and then if they contact water while hot they also tend to warp. Is that a load of crap?
    I'd expect the materials on upgraded brakes to be more resilient and the vented discs to control much of the heat.
    Thanks for any guidance you have. I'm admittedly not a mechanic and this is my first Shelby -- first car with a real engine, actually ;)
    Drew