Join Shelby Forums Today

67 GT 500 pulling exhaust fumes into cabin

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by macdon03, Jul 18, 2014.

1. macdon03

macdon03 New Member

My 67 GT 500 pulls exhaust fumes into the cabin when the windows are down. With windows up there is no problem. Secondly, there is also a LOT of engine heat that radiates into the drivers side, hence the need to roll down the windows. Is there some kind of heat shield that I could be missing?

2. dc-dd

dc-dd Well-Known Member

Get used to the heat That's typical for 67 500. The fumes you may be able to cut back. You will need to check your taillight panel fit for any air gaps ,taillights and taillight boxes to see if any sealant was used when the car was restored or reassembled. you will want to check to see if taillight gaskets were used and check the taillights themselves as the reverse light or back up light is not used and the hole that the socket would have gone into should be taped off a lot of people forget that one when restoring.

Dominic

3. bdigiamo

bdigiamo New Member

Climb into the back of the car on top of the folddown with the hatch door to the trunk open. Look for gaps where light can be seen between the tail light panel and the trunk. On my 67 I could see a gap right across the back. I used a strip of foam rubber tap on top of the trunk seal where it meets the back of the car and it stopped the exhaust from coming in.

4. skidado

skidado Well-Known Member

My 350 (#2751) had the same issue. Turned out that the fumes were coming in through the brake cooling holes cut in the rear wheel wells. The ducting from the side scoops to the wheel well outlets is long gone and when the windows are down the air passing by creates a low pressure zone in the cabin causing fumes to be sucked in.

I tried sealing the tail-light panel, the gas tank to the trunk floor, and any other holes I could find - without success. Finally I noticed the brake cooling holes and blocked these and it worked.

David.