Join Shelby Forums Today

Help starting 68 Shelby GT 350

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by SUNLIT GUY, Jul 13, 2014.

1. SUNLIT GUY

SUNLIT GUY Active Member

My 68 GT Shelby wouldn't start, so I replaced the starter solenoid. It's not the battery because the lights work. It fired up with the screwdriver to the positive charge on the solenoid. However, I still cannot get it to start with the key on it's own. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Faulty ignition switch.

Bill S.

3. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

My first guess is tilt. What happens when you turn the key?

4. SUNLIT GUY

SUNLIT GUY Active Member

That's exactly what it is - the tilt steering. Thanks!

5. Seaweed

Seaweed Well-Known Member

What did you do to the tilt to get it started ? I also have a 68 500 gold that when I turned the engine off the tilt wheel would not would not go back to were it is supposed to go. I did not know at the time that the engine would not start if the Wheel was not locked in .When it came time to leave the cruise night, I put a drop of oil on the door plunger and kept pushing the plunger in & out a few times ,& the wheel went back to its spot . & it started up & I got home.---S.

6. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Under the dash is a small, black plastic canister. That is the vacuum motor. Inside the canister is a switch that controls the starting of the vehicle. The plunger must be pulled all the way out to complete the circuit. If the plunger is not adjusted correctly, the vehicle will not start.

To bypass the tilt, you can disconnect the wiring on the vacuum motor. You will then need to complete the circuit by installing a jumper wire on the plug, to complete the circuit. This should be a temporary repair. I recommend finding a matching plug and connecting the two wires. You can use that as jmper without cutting any wiring. It needs to be installed on the under dash wiring harness.