Join Shelby Forums Today

Hello I'm new to your forum. Question on red inserts for 69 Shelby.

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by cshelby, Jun 9, 2014.

1. cshelby

cshelby Member

I keep hearing that 69 Shelby's are not suppose to have red inserts in the carpet. I even heard this when I bought the car from the original owner in 1978 from others locally at the time. Has anyone heard this and have an opinion? I just replace the original carpets and they have the stamping from ford on the back. This car was originally a rental and I was wondering is maybe just that short run had the inserts.

2. 69originalowner

69originalowner New Member

Not true. As the original owner of a '69 GT-350, they are supposed to have the red inserts in the carpets both front and rear.

3. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I think the answer is some did. It's going to depend on production date, interior color and bodystyle.

rshelby likes this.
  4. 69originalowner

69originalowner New Member

Now that's interesting. Everyone I ever saw and especially the ones that came through Koons Ford in VA, including the Hertz cars had the red inserts. That would be for the black and parchment interiors. Can't speak to any other color.

rshelby likes this.
  5. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

What color interior are you asking about?

Reproduction carpet made since the early 80's has had the red inserts but looking at original red and white interior Mach I's and Shelby's has shown that these cars normally came with standard carpet with only the heel pad like all the non- Mach I cars.

Currently what all the different Mustang and Shelby clubs expect in Concours Judging

6. cshelby

cshelby Member

This is why I started this thread. My Shelby has white interior with full red inserts(see picture). This idea that these car did not come with red inserts needs to abandoned. Has anyone found any evidence to verify that red inserts are wrong or is this just what everyone agreed on at some point?

Attached Files:

7. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Its not unusual for an owner to want to see everyone change because they found their car came with this or that feature

Respectfully one car does not make for "all" . Judges can and often do make exceptions when judging if the owner has documentation to support the finding. Its not unusual to find mistakes or possibly in this case where a new worker on a station put in different carpet than others. I would suggest that if you want to suggest a change then you locate other cars with the same interior built around the same time as your car. We may be able to identify a mini- thread or something larger. We have found on other cars and plants where supply issues during (for example) a month coupes didn't get the "normal" matching headliners. But only through research and documentation can beliefs be questioned and the current understanding be altered and/or improved

The change to the current understanding did not come just because someone thought it up :) Things don't currently work that way in the system. Lots of pictures of original cars were used to change it from what it was after it was shown that the cars we had relied on for so long were likely equipped with reproduction carpet and could not be used as data points

To help further the discussion what is your cars number - from there I can check where it is in the date line to see if it lines up with the one or two others that for some reason got the red insert carpet also. Looking forward to discussing this further

8. cshelby

cshelby Member

Thanks for the response. My number is 1906. My argument would be to show the number of cars actually used, then give a weight to the confidence of the decision in cases where is not other proof.

9. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Just to throw a wrench into things, 1584 (a build with quite a few changeover items) just lost it's original carpet to a faulty (NOS in the box) heater core melt down. The coolant ate into the backing enough that it could not be salvaged, even with repeated airing out and hand washing. It was a black with 4 black inserts instead of red inserts with a white interior that was all original until I took the interior out for paint a little over two years ago.

Bill S.

10. Coralsnake

I am not attacking you personally, but your original post asks about "1969 Shelbys"

You are kind of with holding information and changing the course of the thread?

Its been my personal experience, that an exception can be found to almost every rule when it involves Shelby production.

It may need to be amended, but as Jeff stated, one car does not make a pattern. Perhaps if you found several others like this it would be helpful.

11. cshelby

cshelby Member

Don't understand your question. This is a 69 shelby and what information am I holding? I was hoping to get a response from owners who have red inserts like mine because if there is one there has to be more. It is theses exceptions that make it interesting.

12. Coralsnake

I am merely pointing out, I think there is a big difference between "I keep hearing that 69 Shelby's are not suppose to have red inserts in the carpet"

and asking specifically if a white interior car should have red inserts. Especially if you have some pretty credible evidence that your white interior car did. I think more cars had the red inserts than the absence of them.

Maybe it's me...never mind.

I hear a lot of stuff about these cars too and most of the time, it's based on the ignorance of the people making the statements.

If your collecting #1088 has the inserts, original carpets, black interior, fastback.

13. jarrah jack

jarrah jack Member

Hi ,I`d be interested to know what carpet should/could be in my car as I don`t think my carpet is original to my car , my number is 1902 so close to yours , GT350H , cheers

14. cshelby

cshelby Member

1902 that the closest number I've found to mine. Where was your car sold, my was Manteca Ford in Manteca CA? The only reason I know mine came with red inserts is that I bought it from the original owner in 1978 and just this last winter I replaced it. The carpet has the Ford stamping on the back also found the build sheets. Other than that I don't know anyway of knowing if the car had red inserts or not.

Chuck

15. jarrah jack

jarrah jack Member

Hey Chuck , my Shelby was sold through Portland motor sales in Maine and was produced on April 2nd , and was shipped to Australia in 2004 where it now resides , cheers Mick.

16. cshelby

cshelby Member

Australia, Wow! Is it left or right hand drive? Send me a picture if you get the chance. Email is gt350ford@gmail.com