Join Shelby Forums Today

GT350 Transmission

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by razirafi, Mar 19, 2014.

1. razirafi

razirafi Member

Hi, I would like to ask for some help regarding the manual tranny of a 1966 GT350 (VIN plate SFM6Sxxx). It was opened up to clean all the gears inside and when it was re-assembled back it won't shift properly anymore. The shifter will only go forward and back but it won't go sideways. Will someone who has a service manual for this be kind enough to share it with me? I have the Haynes manual pictured in the attachment but the transmission in this manual is different from what I have.

Attached Files:

2. razirafi

razirafi Member

Well, after closely scrutinizing the case of the transmission, I found a metal tag on the side which read RUG AE2. So now I have narrowed down the type of transmission so if anyone can share the repair manual for this, I would be very glad to have it.

3. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

SO you've figured out that its not an original trans from a 66 Shelby

Believe both David Kee's and Toploader Heaven sell CD with manuals and videos of how to rebuild

4. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Obviously a Ford Toploader instead of the original B-W T-10 and an aftermarket shifter. Hurst, maybe? Any reputable local trans shop should be able to check it out if the problem is the syncros or shifter adjustment.

5. razirafi

razirafi Member

@Snakepit: yes it is not an original tranny as the RUG seems to have started with the 69 models. Oh well...

@66GT350PS: didn't really know which is which, hence my reason for signing up in this forum to learn...and yes it has a Hurst shifter...

Thank you for the heads up on this guys.

6. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

The Top Loader will be less of a hassle to maintain and will take more abuse than the T10. It is a very solid trans for which parts are readily available. Original T-10 repair and parts are way more costly, which may be why it was replaced by an earlier owner. If you want to go back to a T10, you can search eBay and various Shelby Parts suppliers. The hard shifting might be the simply from something that was not re-assemble correctly, like the synchro. rings.

The large1966 Ford Comet, Falcon and Mustang Manual is better than Haynes book as they are copies of original service manuals and more detailed. They are a better source are available from most Mustang parts suppliers. As you seem to be a good do-it-yourself mechanic, these would probably be of more help.

Good luck.

7. razirafi

razirafi Member

OK...it was difficult to source (for free) the manuals that were mentioned and after searching for information in the internet, I went ahead and took the shifter apart. I found out that the thin metal spacers (or shims) were not in their correct locations and also the adjusting nuts of the shift rods were out of adjustment. After carefully working out the shifting pattern and aligning the shifter, it is now OK. Thanks again for the help and info that you guys gave me.