Join Shelby Forums Today

One owner '69--did the car only come to light after the owner's death?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by bitzman, Mar 18, 2014.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I haven't read the whole story here in Autoweek
    because I am in a time bind but here's the whole story:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140317/CARNEWS01/140319829

but am curious to know if this low mileage '69 Shelby came to be at the auction at the behest of the family or was there an intrepid barn finder involved who steered them toward the auction?

I think it's good the car goes to auction--the family will have a better chance to recover the full value of it. I am sad the owner didn't use it more but also know there is no arguing with some hobbyists whose source of pride is is how low the mileage is. I have a friend with a 2006 Ford GT and never drives it but then he has 21 other cars!

2. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

RI can't believe they are selling it in such a low -profile auction

I clicked on Autoweek's thread to the auction company and was surprised they are not one known for collector cars.What do you think?
    I think Monterey or Scottsdale, that's where the money is....

http://www.rgilliganauctions.com/4-25 brown contents.html
    is the auction company's website. Lots more pictures here (by the way, I have no interest in this car beyond historical)

Friday, April 25, 2014 www.rgilliganauctions.com

Contents 9:30 a.m. - Real Estate 12 Noon - Vehicles 12:30 p.m.

Real Estate – 1969 Shelby GT-500 428 Cobra Jet w/ 8,531 orig. miles

Here's what they say about it:

1969 Shelby Mustang GT-500 – One Owner - 8,531 original miles

We are offering this 1969 Shelby Mustang GT-500 (Shelby Serial Number 1946) from the estate of Larry A. Brown, the original owner of this unrestored Shelby Mustang with 8,531 actual miles. It is finished in Black Jade with a black interior and features a 428 Cobra Jet engine with a 4-speed transmission. The car appears to be in very good to excellent condition and includes thorough original documentation.

The Shelby American World Registry documents this car with Eger Motors, Inc., McKeesport, PA as the original Shelby selling dealer on May 9, 1969 with a MSRP of $5,245.79. Miller-McVeigh Ford, State College, PA was the local selling Ford dealer and performed the warranty work. The last warranty work performed by Miller–McVeigh (adjust door glass) in September 1969 documented the mileage at just 1,665 miles.

“As discovered” photos illustrate the garage find with decades of dust and a PA state inspection sticker that expired in January 1973. In addition, we located the car’s original smog system, shifter assembly, snorkel, S-tube, Shelby window sticker, bill of sale, build sheet, owner’s manual, warranty card, title, and registration documentation that will be included with the car.

It was widely known locally that this car was not driven in the rain or even washed out of concern that the water would introduce rust. If this car was hose washed since new, it probably occurred at the detail bay of the selling dealer before delivery. In storage, the owner kept the hood up (nice, straight fiberglass hood with no spring tension) and the trunk lid up with the trunk mat and underlayment removed. The seats were wrapped with garbage bags, and two layers of floor mats protected the original carpet.

Overall, the Shelby presents in very good to excellent condition with original and unrestored finishes. The exterior was carefully wiped down for evaluation, and the exterior finishes present nicely with approximately 70% to 75% of the paint appearing original. Other than some early paint touch-up, the car appears original and largely undisturbed with date coded parts and production line inspection marks as would be expected with 8,531 actual miles. With fresh fuel and a new battery, the car was recently started and should be running for evaluation at the sale.

Please contact us with any questions about the car or its condition, and we will respond with additional information including pictures to assist interested parties. Buyers are encouraged to complete a thorough inspection and must rely on their judgment in evaluating this car.

3. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Kind of figured you would double post it

The car and it's location have been known to many in the tri state area for 20+ years.

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=26860.0

The above link will give you the basic run down on the car, questions of originality, and even a lesson on window winding crank handles

Bill S.

4. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

The article I read said he did not have any surviving family.