Join Shelby Forums Today

Is it true the former LA fireman Dennis finally sold his ex-Salt Walther GT40?

Discussion in 'GT40 & Ford GT' started by bitzman, Feb 28, 2014.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Some GT40 fan sent me a line or two that the yellow GT40 one of the last made owned by ex-LA fireman Dennis Murdoch since he bought it from Salt while Salt was in the hospital after a racing crash has finally been sold to
    Tom Shaugnessy, the famous car finder from N. San Diego who already has a Mk. I GT40 that he bought from Australia. The Murdoch car at one time had a Mk. II body style rear clamshell. I think Dennis told me back in the '70s that he bought it for $20,000 but I can't remember back that far now. I heard another rumor that the purchase price recently ws $2 million but that sounds high to me b ecause even at auctions GT40s don't sell for $2 milion unless they are a Gulf car that won LeMans or have some other major race victory. Anyhow like to hear how Dennis was persuaded. If you can find the picture on the net it shows the yellow GT40 buried in boxes in classic hoarder tradition--no doubt with mice living in the interor!

PS this is not to be confused with another GT40 that Salt had that was reportedly found buried in the mud and which is chronicled in one of Jerry Heasley's books

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the car sold in 2010?

If so, just about everyone knew about the car ans where it was.

Even Ronnie Sox knew where it was, but never attempted to buy it

Bill S.

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I am confused about the timeline. I just talked to the new owner who told me he was in a bidding war with several others, including Jay Cushman. He wouldn't tell me what he paid but said it was very expensive. But I'm more interested in what Murdoch bought it for back when the racer who owned it was laid up in the hospital. I thought back then he said $20,000 but am having trouble remembering something told me 30 to 40 years ago let alone where my car keys are.

The buyer's son told me that he heard about the car while at the Steve McQueen concours which is relatively new event in Chino,CA. I think everyone in the LA Shelby club knew about the car since Dennis bought it but no action took place until a well heeled buyer hove into view, and maybe recent sales of GT40s at auctions in the last 3 years (didn't the Gulf GT40 go for over $10 million) have heated up the popularity of the car.

I predict the Dean Jeffries GT40 roadster will go for $10 million if it is ever auctioned, seeing as only four small block GT40 roadsters were made. The great thing is he paid zero.