Join Shelby Forums Today

Proportioning valve question

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by octoberglory, Jan 27, 2014.

1. octoberglory

octoberglory Active Member

Greetings, In restoring a '66 Shelby, is it necessary to rebuild the proportioning valve? I don't even know the principle behind one or how to adjust it. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

2. geez428

geez428 Member

If it is working, and could be cleaned up nice, I would go ahead. It also depends on the use of the car.
    Just an opinion

3. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

The valve provides different pressure from the single chamber master cylinder to the front and rear brakes. Your front discs take about 80 percent of the brake pressure. There are after market adjustable units with large knobs that are easier to use when you are changing driving styles based on street or various track configurations. It is a valuable piece to keep and a real PIA to repair. I pulled mine out to replace with a after market one for easier adjustments (available from most brake supply vendors). However, the original sits in storage for when it is needed for car shows. :cool:

4. 2+2=gt350

2+2=gt350 Active Member

Good info on the valve and rebuild advice at www.stangerssite.com Look in the "other stuff" at the bottom of the home page.

5. octoberglory

octoberglory Active Member

Thank you for the information. I'll check it out. Also, thanks to all that gave their input.