Join Shelby Forums Today

67 Shelby gt500 oil filter adapter mounting pad paint details ???

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by geez428, Jan 26, 2014.

1. geez428

geez428 Member

Does anybody know How was the oil filter adapter mounted? Before motor got painted, meaning the machined surface of the block which is still exposed remain bare metal. Or was the exposed pad and gasket painted engine colour, as well as overspray on the oil filter adapter.
    Also what would be the correct adapter? Anybody have any pics of an original motor down low

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

The gasket (black) was added later along with the filter adapter.They were not painted. CoAE marked .

3. geez428

geez428 Member

So the gasket and the adapter were installed after painting the motor.. Was the pad painted or was it left machined surface? Thanks for the help..
    I'll try to post a picture of the motor

4. Bob Gaines

The area was apparently covered with a mask. All bare metal portions are typically covered by the black gasket for the oil filter adapter.

5. geez428

geez428 Member

I see but a portion of the machined pad where the dipstick is located and also below is not covered by the gasket. So does this stay clean machined surface. I understand the oil filter adapter and gasket were installed after paint image.jpg

At this point I have the wrong adapter, looking for a correct one. This one is on as a temp, till I figure out the paint. Anybody know of a correct one for sale?

6. Bob Gaines

The mask didn't nessarily cover the intire machined but meant to keep paint from the intrenal oil passages. The machined surface was done first then after the long block was assembled it was painted . That is why -All bare metal portions are typically covered by the black gasket for the oil filter adapter. The key word is typically . You have all kinds of variations from the typical .The same can be said for the intake manifold which was also installed and masked off at Ford engine plant. It was not a perfect paint mask line on the intake because more paint up on the aluminum on some then on others . I have used and NOS oil filter adapters as well as other 67 Shelby detail parts available . PM me if interested.

7. Bob Gaines

I am just a little curious after viewing your picture that if you are concerned about such a small hardly noticeable original detail around the oil filter adapter gasket that why would you not be more concerned about a hugely more obvious non original details that can be easily be seen like a aftermarket BB Cobra oilpan ,missing engine lift hooks and hardware, unpainted oil fill tube,and to a lessor extent incorrect blue fuelpump gasket and painted motormount block plates? I can only assume you were going to do the intake manifold engine paint mask line once you installed the waterpump.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. geez428

geez428 Member

Intake is just sitting, not bolted nor finished, as are the valve covers, I do not have lift hooks, which at this point I am less concerned with till I locate some.
    I have a NOS oil pan but prefer the cobra pan. If it goes to show I figured I v
    Could always switch pans, as gasket is only glued to block side. As for the fuel pump gasket. I did not even think about it. Very good point. Believe me it is time consuming getting things right.
    You are right about ford not really having many standards as far as consistency was concerned. I am not really planning to overspray the intake. I did it to the underbelly as well as outer aprons, ans sort of regret it on the underside. Broke my back getting it as perfect as possible just to mess it up.
    Also the reason I enjoy my restomod so much.
    The oil fill tube is supposed to be steel, right?

9. Bob Gaines

fuel pump gasket is white ,intake gasket is black ,oil fill tube is semigloss black. no overspray on outer aprons in the front inner fender side ? It is all blacked out and with sound deadener applied if wanting like factory. firewall has sound deadener applied to all things- wires, powerbooster ,screws ,hoses etc that come out of fire wall from the factory.

10. geez428

geez428 Member

Thanks for the info, great help