Join Shelby Forums Today

1968 shelby engine vin

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by night454, Jan 16, 2014.

1. night454

night454 New Member

Hi, I just inherited my mom and dads 68 Shelby gt350 . I have all this documentation and 3 appraisals and all the forms say numbers matching. So after finding out what that means, id like to ask if anyone tell me where the engine and tranny vin numbers are located please?. . Are than many places they could be?, and were all of the 68s stamped?.
    If they were stamped, how many digits were used...ive read 6, and someone said 8. . is it date stamped , or something else?. Lastly, where is the engine casting code?. someone told me around the starter....but I looked and can see in there from the top or bottom. I assume ill have to take this to a shop and have the starter removed.
    Sorry to ask so many questions, but I need to learn about this because im going to keep it. thank you, Theresa, night454@aol.com

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Didn't you try to trade this for a house in Ashville back in 2010? I have the following in my records:

Posting ID : #1001230549
    Date Posted : 2010-04-22

"First, this is not a scam...its legit. Im looking for a vacation house in the surrounding asheville area (paid for of course), and am willing to trade my near pristine, all original 1968 shelby gt350, with 2 appraisals of 120 and 150k for the right house. this car is perfect, and has recently been in a magazine ad....which i can send you at your request. Im posting a photo of the car, and you can contact me via email at night454@aol.com-with any questions you may have. thanks, mary"

The email certain matches.

So does the "Sovereign Lane", yet the names keep changing.

Bill S.

3. night454

night454 New Member

Hi Bill, yes my mom and dad did back then,but kept the car. The only offers that came through were for ridiculous trades. Abandoning that, they ended up buying a house is burnsville north carolina last year,and also sold a lot on sovereign lane (monarch estates) shorlty there after. Does this have anything to do with the history of the car ? theresa

4. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

5. me163b

me163b New Member

Hi Theresa, saw your post and noticed that mrmustang was the first to answer as usual. Just wanted to let you know that we are not all jerks like him. But then most of us don't just sit by the computer like he does all day long waiting for new threads to come up so that he can throw some sarcastic remark at the person. Perhaps one day he will get a life, but for now, think of him as a security guard who will do anything to become a cop. A wannabe!!!.
    In reponse to your thread, Coralsnake seems to know his stuff, so check him out.
    otherwise ,Engine vins are usually on the boss on top of the block after the intake manifold. But even though it was law in 68 , the early ones (jan and feb, and some march), came out without or not fully intact stamps. I saw one once that had just 8t and the last four build numbers. Then I saw one that was just was stamped 8t. ive also heard that some 350s were stamped behind the heads, and one on the lower part of the engine casting. All this said, just check the casting number by the starter, if that's right, then you are half way there. There is also many discussions as to how many numbers were stamped on the vin, like I mentioned above, it could be up to 6 or 8, but perhaps someone else could answer that for her. take care, Steven
    p.s. im not a 350 expert, I own a 69 500gt, just trying to help

6. mrmustang

Interesting first post, my response was not meant as anything other than what I had in my files. As for a chip on your shoulder, you should wipe that off before you smear it over any other parts of your body. :laf:

To the OP, your best bet besides Pete (coralsnake) is to contact the 68 SAAC registrar with your full VIN, he will have more information on your car than anyone else. You might also want to get yourself a new SAAC registry when it comes out in the next few months. It will have a complete list of what parts are proper for your car.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

7. me163b

me163b New Member

Not first, was a member long before you- just rejoined after buying another Shelby after many years. So after years of absence, I rejoin, and there you are..... responding to the new members with alacrity in a terse manner. I realize your life didn't turn out the way you wanted, but that isn't other peoples fault. Though you delight in attacking new members with your shallow remarks , I recieve emails from the other members thanking me for painting the obvious profile of you. You probably will continue your savage but menial behavior via computer. But I prefer to help people, and will continue to occasionally stumble across empty "angry at lif"e responses. ...sadly. There are things to smile about...try being nice and helping. Perhaps the things that you lost (or left you), will come back. Im always here for advice!.

8. mrmustang

Whenever I read items such as you posted above, I realize that people like yourself will stop at nothing to make themselves feel self important. So many have sent you a PM, when this thread had less than 4 hits since yesterday when you originally posted, 2 of them mine, one clearly yours. OK, sure..

Some of us have never left, and are always here to help. Unfortunately, there are some like you who seem to believe that they are above others because of what they own, or how much they are financially worth.

Without crapping up the original posters thread any further with having to respond to your hatred and venom, if you want, you can start a new thread with your baseless attacks on me.

I'll leave it at that.

Bill S.