Join Shelby Forums Today

1969 Shelby GT 500 Prototype

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by mrjug1977, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mrjug1977

mrjug1977 Member

Hello Gentleman, I have decided to register with you guys and post a thread about a car I have. A couple years back my brother and I stumbled on what we thought was a Shelby gt 500 clone. After getting a Marti report on the car we found that this car was stated to be one of 4 Shelby prototypes. We did a little more digging and found some more supporting evidence that this car was actual the only 428 cj prototype Shelby. I am curious how many of you guys feel that a Marti Report is actual-vaild information????
    This car has all the defining features of a Shelby, all the way down to a date code correct wiring harness. I have only been able to track down one man still alive that was on the prototype team. I tried to get ahold of Carroll but he past away before I heard anything back.
    What do you guys think???
    Can I trust a Marti Report???
    Where else can I find information that is "GOSPEL"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

All Shelby's (prototype or otherwise) are tracked and confirmed by their VIN.

What is the VIN of the car?

Feel free to PM me with it if you do not want to post it out on the public forum.

Bill S.
    SAAC AdMaster

3. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

The Marti report is the Ford record. It is gospel if it matches the car.

Kevin is the only person with access to these records. Even Ford could not supply you with the level of detail he gives you. They simply wont take the time or have the knowledge at this point.

Its very doubtful Carroll Shelby or anyone currently at Shelby would have any idea what you have. Carroll Shelby was not involved in the design or construction of the cars to that degree. His company sold over 14,000 cars 40 plus years ago. He would have been very little help if any.

Your best options are trying to find old engineers from AO Smith and Ford. I also recommend contacting SAAC as they hold many records.

Its doubtful its the only CJ prototype, because SAAC shows all four non serial numbered prototypes as GT 500s. One did have a 390 engine. Based on that I suspect the car you have is probably the black fastback.

Unfortunately, the engineering cars are under appreciated and under valued in my opinion. So, instead of winning the lotto, you probably have something worth as much as an average GT 500.

I have been studying the prototypes and engineering cars for years. There is very little information available. If you have found someone, you better document everything they have, pictures, notes, recollections.

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

4. mrjug1977

mrjug1977 Member

Yes , I do believe we spoke before. I have sent you info in the past I believe. My father sent info to SAAC and was told that the car would be in the registry. The vin is 9F02Q102338. Any more light you can shed on this car would be greatly appreciated.

5. mrjug1977

mrjug1977 Member

I am trying to get this car put into the registry and would also appreciate any help you can give with that.

6. mrmustang

I've forwarded your information off to the 69 SAAC registrar for confirmation.

Bill S.

7. Coralsnake

Based on my experience, you are not likely to find too much more than you have.

...but, I wish you luck. Especially based on the fact, the car was not in the previous Registry, you have a real oddity.

The car is already recorded and will appear in the Registry based on my discussions with the Registrar. Since it will be published soon, I recommend you get them pictures and the Marti report today to ensure the information is accurate.

That will eliminate a lot of concern during the next 20 years.
    :thumbup:

8. mrjug1977

mrjug1977 Member

This is the black fastback. Thanks for the info. The reason I belived this to be the only big block was because I only found two gt350 cars that are prototypes when I was researching. I spent a lot of time sifting through google!!!

My father and I were actually going to sell the car but the buyer backed out because the car was not in the registry.

I know we didn't hit the lotto but this is an awesome find!! Thank you for all your help>

Do you have any contact info for the person in charge of listing cars in the registry?

9. Coralsnake

I don't believe that is accurate.

Here is the 1969 SAAC contact (same as 1968)

68registrar@saac.com

Vinny Liska

10. Coralsnake

There are currently four known prototypes. These cars were not assigned Shelby numbers. Do not confuse these with engineering cars. Engineering cars were built as production models and then used for testing.

These are the prototypes; All were built as GT500s:

9S02S100029 a red fastback

9F03Q102336 a black convertible

9F02Q102338 a black fastback

9F02Q102339 a Aqua fastback

It would be interesting to get a Marti on 9F0??102337 to see where that car went.

11. mrjug1977

mrjug1977 Member

I posted a copy of the marti report. I believe it is somewhere in this thread

12. mrjug1977

mrjug1977 Member

So this car is one of the prototypes, correct? Not one of the engineering cars?
    The Marti says "prototype"

Based on your info my understanding is this is one of the four, and it is the black fastback. Is that correct?

13. Coralsnake

I would say your previous post is correct. It is a prototype.

I might add there could possibly be more than four prototypes. Only four are known.

14. Coralsnake

I would be interested to see what cars you found on the internet?

Pete

15. Paul 007

Paul 007 New Member

I owned 9f02Q102339 it was sold and went to New York.

16. 2+2=gt350

2+2=gt350 Active Member

I know who owns car 336 the convertible. Has a great story too.

Attached Files:

17. mrmustang

Now being documented on the saacforum