Join Shelby Forums Today

Did I just buy a clone?

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Jarhead75, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Jarhead75

Jarhead75 New Member

I just purchased an 08 shelby gt. After researching I have this strange feeling that it may be a clone.
    For starters it is vista blue with no stripes. It has all the plaques inside with the csm number.

What's throwing me off is the shelby emblem on the back is on the left side of the trunk instead of the center.
    The stripes are off and the rocker panel stripe that says shelby gt is dull grey.

I pulled the Carfax and it just says 08 mustang GT. Do Shelby's not come up as a shelby? Should any legal paperwork show that it is a shelby?

Someone told me that the rear suspension should be blue, which it is.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Indycar9M1081

Indycar9M1081 Member

I would suggest you go to the Team Shelby website and contact the late model Shelby registrar. Hopefully they can answer your questions. That website has quite a bit of info on the late model Shelby's, but I find the site very restrictive to non Team Shelby members. so I wish you luck. I can't even view the registration info of my own 08 GT 500 there.

3. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Since all Shelby Mustangs use the Ford VIN, the Carfax is correct. Shelbys are post title cars as Shelby American is not a registered Manufacturer with a MSO number. The Shelby American operation of the 1960s was. Shelby American/Automobiles had an MSO for the Series 1 manufacturer only.

Team Shelby and Shelby American do record the Ford vin for the Shelby GT models and should be able to verify. Keep in mind that the factory just moved location so a lot of stuff may still be in boxes.

Good luck.

4. Jarhead75

Jarhead75 New Member

No worries, I traded for a 2008 GT500 today. Thanks for the info though.