Join Shelby Forums Today

Cobra Daytona 7-liter coupe, (not the Super coupe) pictured in new book

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Dec 1, 2013.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

There is a new book out by one of the former Shelby American drivers, John Morton (book called Inside Shelby American) and I was surprised to see that it had a couple pictures by Dave Friedman of the formerly 289 Cobra Daytona coupe stretched to house a 427. Previously I had only seen pictures of it being built in Italy and assumed that it had been converted back to a 289 while still in Italy after another Daytona coupe that was being transported on the upper deck of a transporter hit a low hanging bridge. In the book Morton says that he and another Shelby American employee had plans to install a 427 but then never mentions it again, as if Shelby didn't want them. I was surprised that, considering that leaf spring car didn't go forward as a 427 that Shelby allowed the 427 powered Super Coupe project to get as far as he did before cancelling that as well. Anyway I have a 500-word book review for this book if anybody wants it for their club newsletter--I don't know which category here is good for a book review unless it's this same category.