Join Shelby Forums Today

Zagato roofed GT350--are the two built out and about the car shows & vintage events?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by bitzman, Nov 16, 2013.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Zagato is an Italian coachbuilder, reconstituted in recent times after being out of business for awhile. Most famous for Aston Martin DB4GTZ and the Fiat Zagato-bodied cars and like 8V or some Lancias. Anyway about 25 years ago I saw a rear view shot of a white GT350 with a different roofline and I think different that stock trunk lid with Italian plates that was said in the caption to be the work of Zagato. Then on the website Ponycar.de I saw a black one pictured, front 3/4 view. I wouldn't call them Zagato-bodied as most of the body seems the same as Ford, only different roof, different around the headlamps and trunk lid. I can't recall if they had Zagato badges. I don't know who ordered them--did Shelby send them the cars to experiment with? Anyway curious why they haven't been in any car magazines in decades since by now having both a Shelby connection and Zagato connection would make them more valuable than the regular standard GT350.

Also bodied in Europe were the Bertone Mustang, still looking for word of that car's fate, and the Osi Mustang, which I have only seen one picture of. That was a fastback with flat headlamps that flipped up as on Porsche 928. It was kind of ugly so maybe nobody is looking for that. But neither of those two were built by Zagato. More recently there was an Ital Design Mustang, that may have been paid for by Ford but now that Ital Design is incorporated into VW you won't hear Ital Design talking about it any more.

2. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Re: Zagato roofed GT350--are the two built out and about the car shows & vintage eve

Three years later still asking the same question...only now I found two pictures of the car in a story on the net.

http://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2013/05/the-1966-zagato-shelby-gt350.html

Dark green. I think it is owned by a German or a Swiss. The story says it was found in a junkyard in '74. Anybody know which junkyard, which country and for how much?

The story says it was a "armature car"--I think it's a translation bugaboo, meaning it was put on an armature (to align it) during restoration, or is there another meaning for "armature car" unknown to native English speakers. I also have seen a rear view of a Zagato GT350 when the car was white. I believe there were two of them. Someone has the 1965 Shelby minutes (for boardroom discussion). It's probably in there. I think one reason they didn't bring them back to the U.S. was, when you reimport an American car with a custom body done in Europe you have to pay duties on the bodywork