Join Shelby Forums Today

Changing paint color during restoration question.

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by davester, Oct 31, 2013.

1. davester

davester Member

Does changing the paint color on a 67 GT350 during restoration negatively affect eventual resale value/desirability?

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Yes.

The most valuable cars are usually the cars that have excellent histories and are restored to original factory specs.

3. davester

davester Member

I appreciate your response. On a restored car that is other wise correct how much would you deduct for incorrect color? I am looking at one for purchase. Let's say Hagerty rates it at $120K with correct color. Would you deduct $10K-$20K?

4. Coralsnake

That is going to be very difficult to answer. I dont think there is a set formula. Color is subjective. You may not like Lime Green, but I do. A change to Candyapple might be considered an improvement by some people. For others it is now a car they will not even consider.

Overall, the most correct cars will bring the highest values. Thats an average. A good guess what ever it would be to change it back.

If I were buying your car, I would use anything and everything I could find to negotiate in my favor. That includes the color change, missing parts and any other items.

If you are not planning to sell, the natural appreciation (assuming it continues) will cancel out the difference.

5. davester

davester Member

Makes sense and I appreciate your response Sir! I think a deduction of $15-20K is about right for a high quality paint job these days. The car has been changed from the original green to candy apple red by the way! I certainly appreciate the forum and the response as well.

6. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Have to add in the hassle factor if a buyer would even consider a color change car. In that case many times you have to make it such a good deal the price must come down more than you have for just a repaint. In most cases on a really restored car IMHO will have to be completely disassembled striped to metal and repainted. That is going to run ALLOT more than $20K

I would say your looking at a deduction of $40K to get someone interested.

Just my experienced opinion ;)

7. Coralsnake

I actually have run across one car that was red and repainted green, but only one. Embrace the green. It looks good when its done well.

:)

8. davester

davester Member

Thanks again for all the helpful responses. This is a great site!

9. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

I used to make a game of it at shows. I would walk around and say there were my red 67 and 2 other red 67's. Majority of the time the others were not origially red. Back in the eighties alot of these cars were non original colors. It seems many of these have been repainted back to original now, which is a good thing in my opinion.