Join Shelby Forums Today

Carberator runs with choke closed too high - help!

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by malstrom, Oct 16, 2013.

1. malstrom

malstrom Member

HI Guys

This problem is continued from the other post I created below which has a a video for the engine. I cant understand after struggling to get the engine running why the thing runs so high.! I have holley a 425 cfm 4bbl vac secondary heat spring choke. I opened the carb to clean it . going thru everything....its a virgin carb that sat for many years and did not need the rebuild actually . I was able to start the car before the rebuild, running it in the garage regularly, no problem. But I wanted to clean the fuel system. But I cant understand why it wont settle down. Its basic idle is dangerously high at about 4000 rpm.

I my friend told me its not a fuel problem, but air. I am sure it's not a vacuum leak . But the car would not shut down when we completely closed the choke plate. no effect its a runaway. Its a simple carb what could I have done wrong?

http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/...uel-pump-failing-i-need-advise.html#post63255

Just did some more work since my post

Well I changed the heat choke thermostat I set earlier thinking that would help. I ran the engine.... no go. ran the engine again I then was about to give up when I checked the float level in the primary . from the site plug it came streaming out. I mean Niagara falls.

SO I lowed the level. Ran the engine checked the level ,ran the engine again check the level. both times its was set properly. The engine wont start with out primed fuel but do you think that would have had an effect on the high rpms? I gave up at that point.

Thx
    Lawrence