Join Shelby Forums Today

Police Special 428

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Cliff, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Cliff

Cliff New Member

I'm new to the site and would like some information on the Police Special 428. I have a 1966 Ford that was ordered out by the Missouri Highway Patrol and has a 428. On a couple of TV programs I have heard Carroll Shelby say he used these engines in Cobra's? Is this true and what are they worth? Thanks

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Cliff,

The 1966 Shelbys were all small blocks. The 1967 GT 500s used the 428 Police Interceptor motors. Your engine would be suitable only for a replacement ( not dated correctly). Do you have a dual quad intake?

3. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Thank you for your response and information. No I don't have the dual quads, this is a single four barrel engine.
    Could you tell me where I might find the date code? Thanks

4. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Between the oil filter and the pan facing down

The aluminum intake and carbs are the money parts

5. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Thanks again. I'll take a look and see what I have. I've been familiar with this car and am sure it's all original so the money may be a restored Missouri Highway Patrol car. It only has 100,000 and the engine has never been apart. Thanks

6. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Yes the 428 police engine (PI for short) was used (or substituted) in some of the BB Cobras instead of the 427. The 427 was in short supply and much more expensive when compared to the lower horsepower and less expensive 428 PI.The Cobra is not to be confused with the Mustang based GT350 or GT500. The Cobra name was only associated with the 2 seater aluminum bodied Cobra up until after the end of the 67 model year. You will not find too many 427 Cobra owners admitting that the 428PI engine was the original engine in their car opposed to the race bred 427 however.

7. Cliff

Cliff New Member

Thanks Bob, that is sort of along the lines of what I had found on a car program that featured Carroll Shelby and the Cobra's. So my dilemma is whether to sell the motor to a Cobra enthusiast or restore the 66 Ford 500 as a true Missouri Highway Patrol car with original drive train.