Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 mustang

Discussion in 'General Website Info & Help' started by Kentucky, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky New Member

Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some help on identifying a driveshaft out of my 1965 mustang coupe. I realize this is a Shelby site but I think that I might have Shelby driveshaft in my car. My car was a 6 cylinder car and someone had changed it over for 5 lug wheels. My car has a 302 in it now with a c4 transmission. This driveshaft is being used on an automatic transmission. I was putting in new U-joints today and couldn't fine the right ones at the parts house. The ones that are suppose to be correct for my mustang are to big for the driveshaft that I have. The guy at the parts house looked up U-joints for a 65 Shelby gt 350 and they fit in my drive shaft. I got some pictures of it. It has 7576 JM stamped in the end of it. Also while I was cleaning the old paint and dirt off I found 2 stripes. One looked a yellowish white and the other kinda pink. Also in yellow letters on the side was 19078-5S. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure the Shelby uses the 289 HP driveshaft. Its not specific to Shelbys. I dont recall them having a tapered end like the one in your car. The u joints probably have multiple applications.

3. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Looks like a Ford over the counter drive shaft for a 1979 V8 Mustang, that is the only one I have ever seen a taper on. And even that one might not have been original to the car it was in.

Bill S.