Join Shelby Forums Today

Fuel pump failing? I Need advise

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by malstrom, Sep 11, 2013.

1. malstrom

malstrom Member

HI Guys

I have a fuel problem from my car sitting in storage. replaced the tank and sender , cleaned the steel line and I can get it running. But I have found two issues. One is that when working I noticed my hand making an impact on the rpm rate slightly. So I got out the Aerosol can of starter fluid and sprayed the outside of the carb and heat riser, sure enough a strong rise in rpm.

Man I just changed all the riser and carb gaskets. so obviously a vacuum leak which is giving me my rough idle.

Q.1 Is there a hot rodders trick? I though of getting some kind of silicone spray or rubber spray. Try and "seal" some areas in part. Wait 24 hours to dry. Run the engine and see if I can notice a change. "seal" another side/seam wait 24 hours to dry .... repeat.....

Try to narrow down the area of leak. Am I right in assuming its not the blue re-usable bowl gaskets other wise apparent leaks?

Wen I get the engine running and running high rpm holding the chock plate closed. I can see with my fuel gauge I get 3-4 psi hooked to the line to the fuel tank. That's low for my carter at 6psi max. this keeps my Clear inline 3 dollar filter low and frankly empty. But it runs?

When I put the fuel line down into a two gallon can below the engine and run from there. I get a Steady 5.75---6.25 psi at low idle er um 2000 rpm by ear

If I open the choke plate and lower the rpm I dip to 3-5 psi at the gauge (fuel from the can.) The needle bounces with rough running engine.

Second question : Under high or low rpms should I worry . would the need for pressure from the pump need to be constant? Is the fluctuation an problem. When this happens I'm from the can and the in line filter is a constant about 3/4 full and wavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIaYBUPo-vQ

thanks

Lawrence

2. OVERRIDE

OVERRIDE Well-Known Member

Buy a small propane bottle and mount a small hose on the end. Then turn the propane on and then you can pin point the leak.