Join Shelby Forums Today

Non-original motor gt 350

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by gtb78680, Aug 23, 2013.

1. gtb78680

gtb78680 New Member

How does not having the original, numbers matching motor in a 66 GT 350 effect the value? The car has a period correct 289, but the numbers don't match the car's VIN. Were the 66 engine blocks even stamped with a VIN?

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Since a large number (maybe a majority) of cars do not have their original motors, it is already factored into the values.

In other forum conversations the numbers of a 10-20% reduction have come up.

Cars that do have the verified OEM engines/trans/rear do tend to sell for more.

I would say if you think your car is worth a $100,000 and everything else is correct, the replacement of the engine probably makes it an $85,000. The car sitting next to you with everything correct and "numbers matching" is probably $115,000.

The value is an average.

3. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Another question to answer is;
    Is the 289 in the car a hi-po or non hi-po 289? A non hi-po engine would certainly would not help the value. Also, I know of a '65 that does not have its original engine, but has one from an earlier Shelby. The owner of the car has known the car since new and claims the car has never had the engine removed. The original engine from that car now resides in a '66 GT350 that was at Shelby American at the same time as the '65 and there MAY have been a swap of engines there for some reason. If the engine you are talking about is an original Shelby motor, it may also have an impact on value. Since the Ford VINs were stamped on the engine for the hi-pos, can you PM the VIN for the engine if it is a true hi-po engine? I have been doing research on non-original engines in GT-350s and it may help me with the research.

Jay

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

You would be able to tell if BLOCK was a hipo by vin stamped on block because the "K" engine code.Heads and exhaust would need a independent examination. However sometimes the VIN is stamped so light that only the last sequential numbers are seen . The switching of engines at the factory is more uban legend then fact . Typically it is a excuse to explain a none original engine. Yes SAAC has DOCUMENTED evidence of a few 65 cars that was done with. Other extra ordinary claims require extra ordinary proof!! I have personally owned several Shelby's over the last 40 years that had engines switched out from other Shelby's . In every case it was a previous owner and NOT the factory. The past owners in each of my cases had multple cars and switched out the engines for ether perfomance enhancements that one had that the other didnt have at the time .two others had blown engines and replaced with one that was running from a wreaked Shelby car . It wasn't until the past 20 years that engine VIN's were a issue . In two of the 3 cases I was able to reunite the engines with the owners of the matching car. If a non original but genuine Shelby engine is in a car it doesn't make it more valuble. It is still a incorrect engine from another Shelby. The incorrect Shelby engine will most likely be more valuable only to the owner of the car it goes to over a non matching VIN stamped engine. And some Shelby owners it will not even be desirable to. you can ask me how I know;) .

5. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with Coralsnake on this. I think there are a lot more GT350s out there with replacement engines than might seem the case by reading ads and auction listings. It seems every car for sale is all original and numbers matching. A little digging often reveals that to be a "slight" exaggeration.

If I was looking at two otherwise equal cars (which is never the case in the real world) I might pay $20k more for the one with the original engine. That’s just my personal feeling. Every buyer and seller gets to set their own value (or lack of) on that feature.

I’ve heard that some buyers won’t consider a car that doesn’t have the original engine. But I’m guessing those are investors buying for financial gain as opposed to enthusiasts who want to enjoy the car.

Just my opinion.

Steve

6. SFM6S087

Bob, I understand and agree with your extra ordinary claims / extra ordinary proof stance. But I think Jay made it clear (with the all-capitals, bold typeface “MAY” in his post) that he’s researching possibilities – not making a claim. It sounds like you've done some research down that path yourself. Maybe you guys should compare notes.

Steve

7. SFM6S087

Okay, you've got me curious. How do you know?

Steve

8. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

It's easy to twist yourself around. Each person has to decide for themselves....

*1969* A letter to Shelby dated 5/20/69...

Claim Number 6674 Northwestern Ford....

The additional five hours requested in labor time is for transfering a complete motor from a new Shelby in stock to this unit to retain customer satisfaction. With only 700 miles on the unit the customer created a real problem as our Mr Schelbe told him we were having a engine sent in by air frieght when in reality the critical parts order came back back ordered. On top of this the wheel call back program hit at the same time and this really got the owner up in arms. Customer now has his unit all repaired and wheel program completed. He was quite pleased when he left.

Two brand new cars without original motors. I love that one.....

9. Bob Gaines

Steve the "MAY" is the same as saying "plausible" or "it could happen" . There are any number of things(possibilties) that could have happened. The possibilities can be almost endless.This has been discussed before . If you give credibility without reasonable proof you open the door for acceptance of any number of odd ball possible things no matter how unlikely ;) .

10. Bob Gaines

I got into contact with the present owner (15 or 20 years ago)of the car the engine that I had belong to and offered it to him. I didn't get past "are you interested in the original engine for your car". When the owner said " no" I was a little surprised. I didn't even get to the point of how much. It was just no. He could care less. It was a little awkward to even try and small talk with him so as to try and get a read on his negative attitude towards the original engine. I left him my number but never heard back.

11. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, I certainly did not mean to hijack the thread.
    Like Bob I have run a few non-original engine paths to the end and found a common link where engines were swapped. However, I have also followed 2 other paths and have been unable to find any commonality in the cars in question and so have always believed there is a very real possibility that a swap occurred at SA. Overall, I agree with Bob that without some type of proof, it is conjecture, but I always have an open mind on these things as we continually learn what we thought was fact was in error. With that in mind, Coralsnake's letter is very interesting and maybe a swap at a dealer could explain the 2 instances that I have not been able to resolve. I'll have to do some more digging through my info to see if I can make a link that way.

Back to the original question, for a collector I would guess they would be willing to pay a premium (10-20K would make sense to me) for a numbers matching GT350.

OP, I would still be interested in learning what VIN is on your engine if it has one. In particular, if it starts with a 5R09K or 6R09K set of numbers.

12. SFM6S087

I understand your point. But it's difficult to research some of the odd things found on these cars without considering possible explanations and then digging into them until proven true or false. Keeping those possibilities to yourself insures you never risk passing along unproven information. On the other hand, if you keep all your speculations out of public discussions you miss out on the vast knowledge base available in forums like this. On the other hand... wait... how many hands do I have? Oh well, you get the idea. It's a judgment call, and everyone has to draw the line where they feel comfortable.

I'm comfortable with the use of the word MAY in performing public research. You have valid reasons for believing that's inappropriate. Just goes to show that great minds do not always think alike. :)

Steve

13. Bob Gaines

Then there should be no reason not to use the word "theory" if doing research ;) . "Theory” lets readers know it is the author’s thoughts, opinions, suspicions etc. The other words imply acceptence in some way of the suspect info. Every time I see one of these false urban legends or discussion that could turn into one I will not remain quit regardless if PC or not. I don't think it does the marque any good by perpetuating a myth by using words that give someone or anyone leeway for an excuse to justify an incorrect historical situation.

14. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Egads!!! I did not know that by using the word "may" instead of "theorizing" that I would be causing undo damage to the marque. I asume you mean the Shelby Marque, but hopefully I have not thrown the later Shelby Dodge crowd under the bus by my callous misuse of the English language.;)

Seriously, I am not interested in debating semantics and the difference between "may" and "theorize" and how others think they should be used. I guess I am just a country bumpkin, but have to say I have not been told what words I should use to convey my message since I was in Miss Crump's 3rd grade class some 45 years ago. Regardless of the word I used, I have already stated I pretty much agree with what you said even if I say it differently than you would.

I am more than willing to continue this dialogue and my poor choice of words, but suggest you PM me if you would like to continue as there is no reason to drag this thread down. I hope the OP received the info he was looking for.

15. Bob Gaines

"Me think thou protests too much" :whistle: ) .Your contempt and sarcasm is a good indication that I am on the right track ;) . It is obvious you have your own agenda for what ever reason. If the enthusiasts are not kept informed the misinformation continues.

16. SFM6S087

Well stated and well taken.

I still disagree, but with your latest explanation I understand your position a little better. You are trying to protect “the marque.” That’s a noble and worthy cause, and I support you in that endeavor.

But I suggest that by banning words such as “MAY” from public discussion of these cars you are actually hurting “the marque” instead of helping it. Even if you are technically correct, most people either will not understand or will not care about the semantic distinctions you have pointed out. And the false information you are rightfully trying to suppress will enter the public domain anyway. In the mean time, your insistence on having such fine control of the language could actually discourage some people from participating in the discussion. Someone who may hold a key piece of historical information about these cars might decide not to get involved for fear of creating an undo controversy with his choice of words. Oops! Let me restate that in a more acceptable way. It is my theory that someone who may hold a key piece of historical information about these cars might decide not to get involved for fear of creating an undo controversy with his choice of words. Better?

Likewise, I theorize that someone with a valid question to ask (that could open new doors of research) might decide to avoid a potential semantic battle by simply not posting.

So, theoretically of course, your version of protecting the marque could turn into suppression of new information.

I believe that phrases such as “may have” and “what if” are useful and acceptable tools to use in conducting research. And forced avoidance of them will actually hurt rather than help “the marque.”

Obviously, I have my opinion on this and you have yours. I’m happy with that.

And no one is suggesting that you “remain quiet.” Please do post again if you wish. If you convince me to change my opinion, I’ll reply and publicly acknowledge that change.

Steve

17. SFM6S087

Bob, I don't think you further the discussion or gain credibility when you cast aspersions on the motives of someone who is basically agreeing with you, but uses a little humor, and yes, a little sarcasm, to lighten the message.

Steve

18. Bob Gaines

Steve, I am far from being any kind of language or English teacher. A unintentional misuse of language happens to the best of us from time to time. It is more about common sense and honorable intent. I am not suggesting "BANNING" anything. If one is not careful how a word is used so to suggest something not intended or something down right misleading don't be surprised ,or fussy because someone else calls them on it. I hope someone will!!! Everybody has a right to their opinion. That is mine.

19. SFM6S087

I appreciate and respect your opinion.

Steve

20. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Actually, my sarcasm (no contempt) was due to my belief that you had blown things way out of proportion, and now you have gone a step further and have decided I am up to no good and I need to be stopped because I may taint peoples thoughts. Wow, if I have that much influence I need to run for a political office where I can really run amok and fill peoples heads with evil thoughts. BTW, the last line was facetious, not sarcasm or contempt.

tin foil hat.jpg