Join Shelby Forums Today

Non-original motor gt 350

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by gtb78680, Aug 23, 2013.

1. PonySnake

PonySnake Active Member

To get this topic "back on track", as the owner of a 67 GT350 (1433) without its original engine, I would certainly pay $15k for the original long block. Last know position - in yard somewhere in SW Atlanta, circa 1989.

2. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

I know a number of Shelby and Cobra owners whose cars do not have the original engine installed. One Cobra owner told me that since he actually drives his car, he prefers not to have the original engine in the car. Usually, the original engine is wrapped in plastic and stored away.

As far as VIN numbers and cars; One of my good friends has a 66 Hertz car. He bought it in 1967 or 68 from the local Ford dealership. He put 100K on the car, a few years ago he asked me to rebuild it. Looking at the block, the VIN number matches the VIN on the body except for the last couple of numbers, which are transposed. Errors do happen.

I also know of a 65 Shelby that was also owned by a good friend and stored in my shop for years. The car had previously changed hand multpled times and at one time needed a rebuild. The guy who did the engine switched the block out, installing a 5 bolt in it's place. This all happened 20+years ago. I recently saw it go through one of the auctions, advertised as "100% original, numbers matching" car. I had a good laugh at that one. I guess with enough $ anything is possible.