Join Shelby Forums Today

Trying to figure out if the 68 Mustang we have is a Shelby any help appreciated

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by hbarrett10, Aug 16, 2013.

1. hbarrett10

hbarrett10 Member

We have a shell of a 68 Mustang but we don't know if it is a Shelby or not. Have no clue if it had Shelby tags on it and if it did where they would be but from what I am reading Ford took over in 68 and named them Shelby Cobra's and Carroll Shelby was not a part of the process anymore and did not sign them anymore. It has been really stripped down as you can see from the photo's. My question is it a Shelby Cobra? I know it won't have the signatures etc cause in 68 they didn't do it anymore. If it is a Shelby Cobra does anyone know the value of it?

What I know about it is it's a 1968 made in Dearborn MI, 302 engine, 4 speed, made Dec 29th 1967. That's all the info I have on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are looking at restoring but have no clue what it really is.

VIN 8F02J133591
    63A D 2B 29M 43 5 5

Attached Files:

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Nope, not a Shelby, just a really rusty "J" Code (302 4V) Mustang fastback. Sorry to burst your potential financial bubble.

Order a Deluxe Marti Report at http://www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm

This will assist you in knowing how the car was originally equipped.

Bill S.

3. hbarrett10

hbarrett10 Member

Hello Bill, thank you for replying. Was just wondering how you found out or where you found the info on it not being a shelby?

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Bill isn't trying to fool you .It is extremely easy to tell that your car is not a 68 Shelby because the plant code "F" is Dearborn and not "T" Metuchen were all of the 68 Shelby's were made.

5. hbarrett10

hbarrett10 Member

Was not trying to imply that I called the local Ford dealership and I was told that it has the making because thats when Shelby moved to MI so I am more confused then anything. I see that most of the shelbys are the T code but also know that Ford took over in 68 so Carroll didnt do 5hem in 68.

6. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

You are very confused. Shelby was involved in 1968, just as much as the other years. All ( not most) 1968 Shelbys were built in the New Jersey assembly plant. The cars were finished in Ionia, Michigan. However there are no codes or indications of this conversion on the cars, tags or in the codes.

I am puzzled what you mean by Carroll Shelby never signed them?

The car you have was built in the wrong plant and has no Shelby specific or unique codes. It also doesnt have any of the Shelby specific body modifications. That is based on the warranty tag info you posted. Additionally, all 1968 Shelby serial numbers are known and there were no Shelbys with the VIN you provided.

I guess I should ask, what made you think it was a Cobra? Ford made Over 300,000 Mustangs in 1968. Only 4450 are real Shelbys. In other words, just based on production numbers there is a 99% chance its not a Shelby to start with...There are no Shelby unique parts in any of your pictures, no indications the car is a Shelby at all. Hope that helps...

As for price, you have a car worth about $5,000 or less. A similar Cobra would be in the $60,000-75,000 range.

7. hbarrett10

hbarrett10 Member

It does help. We had no clue what it was. It was my brothers and he promised he would make that car into Eleanor from the new Gone in 60 Seconds movie for his oldest son. Well he passed away when they were 4 and 2 yrs old. We thought it was a Shelby but never did the research on it. We are now keeping that promise and trying to make it into Eleanor but if the car isnt worth kadoosh then we may have to rethink it as we have a 1970 in way way better shape that we can maybe build to stock way cheaper then redoing the 68.

8. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Probably not the news you wanted....

But, at least you understand.

9. hbarrett10

hbarrett10 Member

Finding out what it is, is way better then trying to guess and dumping 50,000 into it to build Eleanor when its not worth no where near that. Thank you all for the help. Now I just have to convince my mom its not worth squat.

10. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I think you need to do a reality check if you think you can even build a eleanor clone from a shell and do a bumper to bumper, paint ,bodywork, engine and interior for 50,000.00 .

11. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

I cannot imagine from the photos that there is enough to salvage and do a mod-Mustang there for $50,000, even with the work done by the owner. And, for the record, the Eleanor in "Gone in 60 Seconds" was never a Shelby Mustang nor did Shelby American make any. They are modified movie cars that many like to look at.

12. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Dumping $50,000 into the car for whatever reason puts you on the wrong side of the equation. Add another $15,000-$25,000 (which is where your real world, long run costs will be anyway) and you can buy your nephew a real 68 GT350 Shelby fastback that will need no work and will be a good investment.

Bill S.