Join Shelby Forums Today

Any thoughts on electric Cooling fans?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by malstrom, Aug 15, 2013.

1. malstrom

malstrom Member

Hi Men and probably a few gals too.

I was wondering if anyone had experience placing electric cooling fans on their car. I was thinking the front valance blocks about 1/3 to a half of the lower radiator. When I used a racing apron it did not make much difference. I know, It's all a about 'fins per inch' and quantities of water/coolant capacity.

But with the original valance did anyone try putting some after market small 6 inch dual Electric cooling fans on the lower front of the radiator? Anybody try a MOD or recommend any kits?

Maybe its just more effective, and cheaper to put a full size electric fan on the front somehow and try not to counter spin the air with the simultaneous operation of the original fan.

Warmly
    Lawrence

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Try this, different thinking. It fits where it fits. So, on the back side of the radiator, why does it have to line up with the water pump hub? The fact is it doesn't. the electric fan can be offset. Now, doesn't that open up new areas to put it?
    And, Summit sells a thermostic switch that can also be used to manually turn the fan on instead of the automatic thermostat. So, more custom soutions are available. You can operate the fan if needed even earlier.

3. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

+1 .Well said.

4. cobradad

cobradad Member

Hi Bob, Roddster,
    Did I miss something in the original post on the location of the electric fan?
    He was asking about putting the fan on the outside of the radiator, specifically mentioning the lower front as an example.
    I've wondered about the same issue he mentioned about an electric fan causing issues when that air is pushed thru the radiator into the engine mounted fan. would there be airflow issues? I could have used an extra fan at SAAC38 during the second open track session Friday when oil was dumped. Sitting on the grid I saw my temp gauge going up and up and.....:alarm:

5. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

I read and understood what the request was. But, I figured that this usually comes from the electric fan motor bumping the water pump hub. that was all.
    Bob G might have a different answer.

6. cobradad

cobradad Member

For sure, I could see that possibly happening if the electric fan was on the inside of the radiator. The distance from the hub to the fins does not leave a lot of wiggle room. Any thoughts on my concern of too much air going through the radiator from the electric and hitting the stock fan trying to pull all that air. I'm not sure if cavitation is the right word to use... I'd love to keep the stock fan and have the electric as a backup for hotter areas and getting stuck in stop and go traffic.

7. Bob Gaines

The air flow disturbance by a electric fan whether being pushed or pulled should not be a detrimental issue as long as the air flow is going the same direction ;)

8. Bob Gaines

The air flow disturbance by a electric fan whether being pushed or pulled should not be a huge detrimental issue as long as the air flow is going the same direction ;) There is ideal placement and less ideal placement. Some situations don't allow for ideal placement.

9. cobradad

cobradad Member

Thanks Bob. As always your help and insight is appreciated.

10. malstrom

malstrom Member

Much thanks Cobra dad all everyone else. yes I was just pondering in that lower half of the front to he Radiator which never gets strong air flow with a stock valance. Do I drop the bumper and valances and run naked Nah! Maybe it just needs a four core with a custom heavier fins per inch design and an other front electric fan of some kind? What are everybody's thoughts.. I also will post another thread tiled 'Loping engine' that I need help with.

Thanks everyone
    Lawrence

11. Bob Gaines

this issue has been covered many times in the past so you may be able to do a search. Many times the high running temp of a performance engine in one of our cars is aggravated by a overbore of the engine of 30 over or more . A good strategy is a combination of things . 4 core rad, fan shroud, and good tested cap, extra cooling fans, water wetter type products, 160-180 "high flow" (I am sold on 160), proper timing / fuel adjustment and good fuel. These are some of the most important things in my book .Others may have a different way.