Join Shelby Forums Today

Cobra Mk/ III COB series RHD "art car" Wasn't Scudder looking for this?

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Jul 30, 2013.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

=I saw a posting some time ago where Ned Scudder of SAAC was looking for the car, which must have evaded his worldwide net. He may have found it and I missed that announcement or story of its rediscovery in the SAAC magazine. I found where the car is today. This is the car once known as the art car, similar to Andy Warhol's painted BMW M1, with lots of paint splashed all over the car of various and diverse colours. The page I found doesn't say, though, in its short history of the car that it was brought to the U.S. for a tour, which I think Ned alluded to, so there could be more than one Cobra art car (though I doubt that) I think the posting I found is current, it is dated2013. I don't own a register (I know, bad boy!) but I'd like to offer an info trade. IF someone replete with all the ref. material one could hope for posts the listing for the owner history of the car since it was new, and what it was sold for after after Tara's unfortunate demise (in another car) in 1966, I'll be only too happy to immediately post the whole page (which is offering the car for sale by the way) and the world's Cobra collectors can fight over it. By the way there are thirteen colour pictures of the car on the page, some with the original paint job, some with the present "Barney" purple(!) paint job. I have to say the art paint job done in the Sixties looked better--but then I like pop art.

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Found by SAAC quite some time ago , threads on the saacforum if you are doing web searches :laf:

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Car was sold June 29th

but to an Englander. Still would like to see owner list and I'll post the seller description which has 14 pictrures tomorrow.
    I think it's a shame the car isn't psychdelic any more but I don't know even if the original artist who did it is still alive or whether it's in good taste to repaint the scheme (he wasn't killed in that car which was on display at an art gallery at the time, so I don't see why it would be disrespectful...)