Join Shelby Forums Today

Carburator wont idle or run contunious

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by malstrom, Jul 3, 2013.

1. malstrom

malstrom Member

HI Guys

I was hoping some one could help with their best guess. In my below video I show an empty in line fuel filter as a cause of my problem.. I have remedied that now... I am using a gas can below the engine to supply fuel and a pump test overflowed a beer bottle with gas from the inline filter and line.

I can blow my air onto the inlet hose to the primary carb chamber and hear bubbling. I can run the engine briefly and during that time I get acceptable throttle response up and down.

problem it just wont idle.... it dies. and it stops even when I try to hold a foot level.. feels like fuel starvation.

Question don't these Holley 4150 carbs spurt fuel from a jet in the side of the barrel. I get no spurt when engine off . I rebuilt the bowls, set the levels and I did not open the body .. I rebuilt the carb just to start a clean out of the fuel system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VadbU_BUALI

Going crazy

Lawrence

Okay it's not idle screw or vacuum leak !

2. gt500tribute

gt500tribute Member

Not sure without additional info but here is a troubleshooting guide:
    http://roncrawfordsholleyrebuilds.com/carburetor_troubleshooting.html

Maybe you have some gunk in the fuel tank clogging the line?
    Adjust the idle on the carb?
    Maybe the gas pedal rod is pulling it and needs to be adjusted down.
    Other possibilities, too large of jets flooding the engine.
    I have an old Cougar I rebuilt the carb and am continuously replacing the fuel filter (glass type) because of all the gunk.
    Are you sure it isn't a vacuum leak? To check, try and run the engine and spray starting fluid around the intake, if it revs, it is sucking it in someplace.

3. malstrom

malstrom Member

HI "GT"

thanks for responding. I have tried the fuel spray tests. It seems there are no major leaks even though the trouble shooting guide at"""" Engine starts, then dies within a few seconds """"" is my problem. I have a brake gauge hooked up you as they suggest but I cant get out of the car fast enough to see it before stall.

Can you tell me gain specifically

A. do you currently have a Holley

B. does it seem to squirt. Cause I wonder if the body of the carb fouled?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VadbU_BUALI

Lawrence

4. gt500tribute

gt500tribute Member

Mine is a Holley 650 but they should be similar.
    It still sounds like a fuel starvation issue, either the floats are too low or the fuel pressure is not enough for the carb. Wish I had more suggestions.

-tom

5. malstrom

malstrom Member

thanks Tom

Do you mind if I get annoying. I apologize. I was hoping to learn from you and your carb. I would hope you could do one small favor. Could you go out to your stang pull off the air cleaner and yank on the linkage engine off. See if your jets will squirt?

Thanks tom
    This will help me in my trouble shooting.

Lawrence

6. gt500tribute

gt500tribute Member

7. malstrom

malstrom Member

YES TOM !

thanks tom! Man a youtube as well! Thanks for being so nice. Of all the men out there helping and on different forms as well, nobody came thru with exactly that reaffirmation of carb theory. I can get the carb running on primed gas but I cant hold it and the engine dies.

When I go for the pump pull I get no Squirt. Never have, Cant see that its running so high rev on two / three second on primed aerosol fuel. So I wonder if its getting fuel some how. But with no squirt I'm guessing it has no fuel for constant idle.

I guess I will have to buy that 25 dollar can of Berrymans carb dip and go thru the entire carb soak.

What do you think?

Warmly
    Lawrence

8. gt500tribute

gt500tribute Member

Thanks, I try and help where I can, I am no professional, learning everything as I go.
    I took the Holley 650 off the 289 that was in my 67 Mustang and it is now on my 69 Cougar after I rebuilt it using a kit from the local auto store. Dipped each piece in parts cleaner as I rebuilt it.
    Are you running a stock fuel pump or an electric one? Seems if something is clogged it wouldn't start at all. Still appears that there is not enough fuel flowing to the carb. It is filling the floats but emptying them when you rev and not filling fast enough to keep up. Fuel pump would be the issue or lack of fuel to the pump.
    Hard to tell, mostly a process of elimination.
    Hope you find a solution.

-tom

9. malstrom

malstrom Member

Hi Tom

Well I did find the problem. It was me!! I placed the wrong gasket from the kit on the Metering block! Starved for fuel.

With primed fuel I can get it running and get strong throttle response. However I cant keep it from stalling , it lopes. I crank the curb idle screw very high to keep from falling out at its low point. then it spins back up again. A repeating cycle of 5 seconds? I worry it still may be the carb.

Some told me the timing is off from 12 year old gas in the old tank to current gas in a new tank. I have not tried that yet.

What do you think? Anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIaYBUPo-vQ

Warmly
    Lawrence