Join Shelby Forums Today

Looking to purchase a 66 and 67 GT350 and could use some help.

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Restocreations, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Restocreations

Restocreations Member

Hello All!

I've had my eye on two Shelby's for the past twenty years and they just recently came up for sale. The owner has had them since the seventies and has documentation of previous owners, but nothing more. I am a huge fan of the 66-68 shelby's, but unfortunately i dont know a great deal about how to 100% authenticate whether or not they are real or evaluate accurately what they are worth. Prices for these cars seem to be all over the board.

I'll start with the 1966 gt350

It is missing the door data tag. The Shelby VIN tag is on the driver's front apron and the SFM number is stamped into the passenger apron. I can see the VIN stamp in the apron from under the car, but i cannot deciper it. About the most i can make out is 6F0 and then it looks like an 8, which is not right since it is a fastback, followed by an N, perhaps. After that, i cant tell what the numbers are at all. There is an 08 exposed after the shelby tag.
    Other Details
    -There is a hand written number on the fiberglass hood in grease pencil 2098.
    -The car is a street model with stripe delete production number 319.
    -The carburetor reads LIST 3259 4B2
    -4 speed manual
    -Disc Brakes
    -Original Paint
    -Original Interior
    -Original wheels are long gone
    -No Rust what so ever. This is a very nice survivor car that has not been molested. 58,000 original miles.

If it is real and checks out 100 percent, what would be the potential value of the car?

[

1967 Shelby Fastback GT350
    I cannot see the VIN on this car and the door data tag is missing. However, the faded original Shelby tag is in place and the passenger fender is also stamped with the VIN.
    What i know:
    67200F5A01---
    67, 306hp/289, 4 speed manual, Base Vehicle, Fstback, Dark Moss Green, Black interior

Other Details:
    -The car has dual white stripes
    -It was repainted once in the seventies, but the paint is still in very good driver condition.
    -It has aluminum wheels that are correct
    -Someone added a dual quad shelby intake and carbs
    -No rust, but someone welded small brackets to the front of the floorboards and the rears, plus cut small notches where the rockers spot weld to the floor boards for??? It is like this on both sides. The frame rails have not been touched, so i doubt it was side exhaust, but i suppose anything is possible. Whatever was attached was cut off with a torch, but no damage to the floor pans.
    -The car does not currently run due to a gas leak.
    -The engine bay is pretty dirty and unfortunately someone resprayed it black and did not remove anything before painting. The hoses, washer bag, stickers, etc were all painted over. Perhaps this could be cleaned off of the stickers etc. with the correct cleaner?
    -Interior is in good condition, but faded and dirty with some mold on the seats.
    -All parts appear to be present minus the original intake and carburetor.
    -58,000 original miles

I have a rough idea of what the 66 is worth, but I am at a bit of a loss on the 67 since it isn't in great survivor condition. If the engine needs to be gone through or rebuilt, that isnt a big deal. I have extensive mechanical knowledge and experience and a great engine shop that i use. However, I am concerned about the fact the original carb and intake are gone. Maybe some would prefer the dual quad set up over the original intake and carb??? Perhaps not though, most likely.

Anyway, any help on the values is most appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Flipped the VIN shot around, still tough to read
    [​IMG]

66vinflip.jpg

3. Restocreations

Restocreations Member

Thanks! Isn't 08 the code for a convertible?

4. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

The Ford Vin you show for the '66 is very difficult to read, but should start with 6R09K. The Ford Vin is also in 2 other locations on the fender aprons with one being on the driver's side midway between the Shelby tag and the firewall. It is covered by the fender so will only be visible from the bottom. The 3rd Vin location is on the passenger apron directly across from the 2nd location. Maybe one of those would be more legible than the one you show in your pic, and if you can post a picture of a more legible vin, it would help.
    There should be no door tag on the '66 so it not being there is not a surprise.

5. Restocreations

Restocreations Member