Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 LeMans: Claud Debois "Shelby" now was it really converted from a notchback

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by bitzman, Jun 17, 2013.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's possible to be disappointed about something that happened in a race 47 years ago but up until today when I was perusing the net I had always assumed Claude DuBois being a Shelby dealer that it was a real Shelby (no. 17 on the side) that he raced at LeMans in 1967 (DNF) with Chris Tuerlinckx, finishing 58 laps. The entry list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans)says "Ford-Shelby GT350" so maybe the LeMans officials didn't look for the Shelby tag.
    I found postings on another forum that said it was a notchback converted to look like a Shelby which to me is like proof there is no Santa Claus. The same postings hinted there was a second hardtop (with custom sales papers indicating 5R539 and a (1970) race logbook of "5R539") (which) was sold to 3 german buyers, wrecked in the 80's. This second car shows the same wiper mods than the 1967 Le Mans car, so most likely was the "other" hardtop. Amongst other track records this hardtop was raced at the Nuerburgring.
    So now that I get over my disappointment that it was not a real Shelby R-model, I would still like to hear an opinion from a '65 GT350 fan on which is worth more-- a Mustang hardtop that was a lookalike of a Shelby R -model that actually raced in the fabled race or a real R-model that actually raced in Europe at other tracks such as when Jochen Neerpasch winning the GT Class at Nurburgring 1000km in 1967.

Maybe I should buy that Register...

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Maybe you should, after all, swallowing your ego and spending the money for it is a small price to pay for top quality knowledge.

Or, by doing so would you have to actually quote your sources in your next attempt at a publication :doh:

3. TransamEd

TransamEd Well-Known Member

There is a lot mixed up in the first posting.

Fact is that the 5R539 that Claude Dubois raced at 1967 Le Mans was a real Shelby. Most parts of it were later taken out of 5R539 and put in a Hardtop for at least one race, then returned to 5R539 and its roof cut off, since hardtops were homologated in that period.
    The racing and body work incl. maintenance of 5R539 finally fell together with some underfinanced capital situation of the company and the controller of Dubois enterprise pulled the trigger. (as he puts it himself in his book)

The rest of the story of 5R539 has lots of facettes and details that go beyond the published registry. As many longtime Shelby enthusiasts know there is always a hidden registry entry behind a published registry entry as it is a snapshot in time of what is known. It is true that a registered car is around in Belgium. To understand what registered means, you need to read the preword in the SAAC bible.

One of the facts is that a Mustang hardtop with the same wiper set-up as pictured in Le Mans and Spa was sold to 3 germans as a race team with custom papers of 5R539. I have copies of those and pics from the car from the original owner. This hardtop was later in the 80ies scrapped, confirmed by the owner and his racing mates.

The 5R107 story is a complete different one that was captured by previous owners and even on Colin Comers former website 5r107.com (which has disappeared unfortunately) only partially. With about 17 owners or more there are still many, many details to cover. But at least it has left little doubt about its chain of ownership and is now in Switzerland.

4. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Why would Comer erase a website story about a car he bought and sold? Unless I guess he needs the space on the site to devote to new cars for sale.
    Anyway the website that had the listing of '67 entries did not have the SN of the cars enteredIf I would have looked farther I would have found this site called RacingSportsCars.com and here is their listing which contains the answer to my question, coinciding with your research.

Shelby GT350 #SFM5R539 - Ford V8 2v OHV 4727 cc N/A

GT5.0

Claude Dubois

Closed bodywork

Front-engined

Driven by: Claude Dubois (B)/Chris Tuerlinckx (B)
    preliminary session only: Pierre Noblet (B); listed, never drove: Gustave Gosselin (B)

Result: did not finish (Piston)
    Grid: 36th (4:13.600)

Sponsors: GT 350

Colours: white (+blue)

Tyres: Goodyear
    So i guess you could say the answer is always one click away and apoolgize for doubting the car's authenticity.
    As far as quoting someone I was recently reading a good story about 2287 Daytona coupe in the Shelby club magazine but can't find an author's name anywhere. How would you quote somebody who doesn't use their name (it was very well written and quite humorous), Say "an anonymous source said"? I don't have that many issues so maybe the unattributed articles are presumed to be staff written.

5. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Here are some pictures taken in the middle of June this year when I visited Sweden and the
    Club of American Ford's convention in Flottsbro outside Stockholm.
    My friend Roland's car 6S923 used to be owned by Claude Dubois and the 67 is my car #1317.
    Texas Swede

Attached Files:

6. TransamEd

TransamEd Well-Known Member

Cool, Bo, good to see 6S923 on its wheels again and at a meeting and no more under the ceiling:) I got pics when he had it first out and we produced a club mag article on it - 2nd time.
    Unfortunately Claude could not remember back then the specific race parts like the rear rod in Roland cars back then.
    View attachment 4059
    I think he has not received another answer since he contacted him again? The Autodiva guys had found a few green 66 Shelbys being raced in France.