Join Shelby Forums Today

1966 GT 350H black/gold paint question

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by octoberglory, May 24, 2013.

1. octoberglory

octoberglory Active Member

Hello, With regards to painting a 1966 GT 350H, should it be painted with an enamel paint like it was originally, or with a base coat and clear coat which seems to be the trend these days. I'm leaning enamel, but I sure could use your input. Also, could you recommend a good brand of single stage black paint. As always, thank you.

2. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Whatever makes you happy as the owner. I once did the clear coat/base coat on my 66 GT350, not a Hertz. But now I am redoing it after 24 years to a single stage epoxy enamel. Why? Only because I do not car for the that extra clear coating look up close. I like the original color only look. But that is just me. Of course, if you are considering a Concours style restoration, clear coat is definitely out. Before you start painting, you might want to look a number of cars like yours at a large Shelby event SAAC-38 in July where you can compare the types of paints used.

rshelby likes this.
  3. TransamEd

TransamEd Well-Known Member

Just wrote an article on a Hertz restoration (in the 6 digit range) for our club mag. The guy who did the restoration is quite well known.

The original is the Bronze Powder paint 380S und 360s from Dupont and the procedure/mix etc. is explained in the SAAC bible. As I learned the disadvantage of this is that the Bronze Powder has varying results due to the ingredients of this paint that settle always different. If you compare several unrestored Hertz Shelbys next to each other you may see it.

Most later paint jobs used the incagold approach (Du Pont 43496-AM Inca Gold Metallic)

However today in many areas you have to face that a waterbased laquer/paint is the only way you can go and spraying others not allowed. Therfore the best way is to get an original (not too much exposed) paint chip or whatever you can get hold of and have it analyzed and matched to a modern waterbased color.
    Frankly the original gold is in my view a bit too dark and yellowish, but if you want to go concours taste is out:)

rshelby likes this.
  4. octoberglory

Hello and Thank you for your input. Like I said, I too like the enamel look however, I live in northern Calif. and if you ask a guys in the business if they can spray enamel you get a reaction like I asked them to build me a bomb. It's really frustrating. Heck, if I knew how to paint, I'd paint the car in my garage. Thanks again and I'll keep looking for someone that'll do the job. Know anybody?

5. octoberglory

Thank you for the paint information. You're right, here in No. Calif. it's all water base but, I really want the enamel look, so I'll keep looking.

6. octoberglory

Where is this Shelby event taking place? Thanks.

7. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

JULY 4 - 5 - 6, 2013 Auto Club Speedway FONTANA CA SAAC returns to the West Coast this year with our National Convention at Auto Club Speedway (formerly California Speedway) in Fontana, California...the site where SAAC-27 and SAAC-30 were held. Auto Club Speedway is a massive complex perfect for an event such as ours. Plenty of parking and paddock area, grandstands right in the heart of the action.

Top of the page

http://saac.com/