Join Shelby Forums Today

Hello! - 1967 Shelby GT500 #0231

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by fordbob, May 23, 2013.

1. fordbob

fordbob New Member

Hi everyone!! I have been a long time shelby fan! both early years and new!

Im excited to learn what you all have to say and find out more history on these beautiful cars!!

My first question is does anyone have ANY information or pictures on the 67 Shelby GT500 vin # 0231 ? any info would be greatly appreciated! :D:laf:

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Welcome fordbob. Did you know a previous owner of #0231 or are you looking to buy it? Just curious why you are interested in that car.

3. fordbob

fordbob New Member

Actually looking to maybe purchase it. This car has peaked my interest due to the "assembly line" photo. I noticed that it also didn't have a hood? So just wanted to know if their was anything else associated with 0231. I didn't want to buy a "normal" GT500. I wanted one with a different history and more to the car than other ones. Hopefully that makes sense. Lol

4. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Have you contacted the appropriate registrar at SAAC?

Bill S.

5. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

67 Shelby spec cars were delivered from the San Jose plant to Shelby American with Shelbyized engine installed but without hoods. The hoods were painted and installed at SA. So if you are thinking about purchasing because it didn't have a hood on at one time you have more options of cars to buy then just 0231 :lol: .FYI there are other out of the ordinary 67 GT500's to buy out there but typically they are out of the bargain basement especially if they have exceptional history (supersnake @1.3 million recently comes to mind ) or rare optioned (factory installed air conditioning ,DIV I concours restored etc.). Restoration costs alone by a professional WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE in 67 Shelby's typically run 100-175,000.00 by itself and not including the price of the initial car being restored or certain rare assemblyline parts needed for top of the line concours restoration.

6. Historian

Historian New Member

Due to newly discovered history about 0231, it has been taken off the market, it is no longer for sale. A website about the car and its history is being built, it will launch within 2 weeks. When its completed we will post a link for all to stop by and read about 0231. Thanks.

7. Historian

Historian New Member

Bob, with all due respect to you, 544's invoice looks as phony as a 3 dollar bill. Do you endorse it? I dare the new owner to have it tested by the FBI for authenticity. It's not even the correct year for the invoice, the font is totally different than all the originals that SAAC has. I have paperwork and ink tested forensically to verify authenticity, will 544 stand up to this test? For years this car was know in higher circles as a fake. I am calling on you based on comments you made on SAAC.com, are you saying without a doubt in your mind that 544 is real? There is a video of Carroll saying he doesn't remember 544, out there, I have heard it, I will gladly take a polygraph if asked about what I heard Carroll say. I invite the FBI to investigate the so called "Supersnake". Bob, if you are going to hold yourself as being an authority, (as you are) you need to answer this, "do you believe that beyond a shadow of a doubt, 544 is real?" Or, are you suspicious that the car didn't bring 5 million like it should have if it was real?

I copied this email that I am posting (if the moderator decides to delete it) to a Licensed Federal Investigator of Classic Cars. The truth will come out sooner or later. Thanks.

8. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I don't think this proves anything one way or the other. I personally asked Carroll about the car as a favor to Charley (previous owner) and Carroll told me he had no recollection of the car or the Goodyear tire test. Clearly, there is video of the tire test so it did happen and Carroll was there. You can't expect Carroll to remember every car that passed through Shelby American or even every "special car" after 40+ years. That doesn't mean they do or do not exist, are real or are not real. I have no stance on the authenticity of the car but if I was to trust anyone's opinion of the car, I would certainly go with Bob G.

Randall

9. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

I am not sure what your stake is in the legitamacy or not of the SS but I have known the car for 30 years . I tried to buy it unsuccesfully on more then 2 occasions. Yes I think it legitimate. Yes I would endorse it as legitimate 544. I am not sure which document you are looking at that you feel is phony so I can't comment on that. If you have doubts I would forward a copy to the 67 Shelby SAAC registrar. He has real documents plus examples of many phonies that have been passed over the years. The documents I have seen for 544 have not given cause to raise a red flag. As far as CS remembering It is the same as when a past owner,dealer etc. claims he remembers (in your claim he dosen't remember) that his car came with a dealer installed 427 (most common false claim) or koni shocks (2nd most common false claim). It is commonplace that in concours as well as the prudent market place that some individuals memory (anyone) is only given weight if it is accompanied by reasonable concrete proof(facts,documents etc.). 544 has this in spades. SAAC has various documents to corroborate its legitimacy. I think 544 has a amateurish restoration on it but it is still legit. Because of all of the verified documented proof and verification of the hidden Ford VIN any claim that 544 is not "real" would fall in the category of a extraordinary claim . Do you know what we say about extraordinary claims? That they require extra ordinary proof. The burden of proof of a falsehood would be on the nay sayers side in this instance.P.S. It was the Cobra supersnake that brought 5 mil not the GT500 of the same name ;) .

rshelby likes this.
  10. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Historian, what part is fake? There are several documents on file with SAAC that prove serial number 544 was an engineering car and used for the tire testing and cooling tests. These documents also show the car had a 427 engine.