Join Shelby Forums Today

Not a Shelby but would this be considered a 1963 Mustang--Mustang II four seater

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by bitzman, May 20, 2013.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

The Mustang I was a two seater, mid engined, but the Mustang II was a four seater, and a running driving prototype in 1963. I was assuming in the past it was built on a prototype "pilot" chassis( those are what they call cars built up while they are still testing the assembly line but not necessairily destined for showrooms) , but in Mustang Monthly in their Dec. 2012 issue they say it was built on a Falcon Sprint chassis and that the SN is X8902-SB-208. I know if it says "X" that might be experimental but is the rest of the SN more like a '63 Falcon Sprint or like the earliest of Mustangs? I would like to know what the title says if experimental cars have titles...

2. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just read this and really wonder if you are serious?
    You have really answered your own question.It is an experimental.It is not titled or required to be,as it still is owned by Ford.All Mustangs that were sold to public consumers were titled as 1965 cars.Hope that clears up any question you have.
    P.D. :)

3. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

To understand Wally Wallace and his posting style (he may be attempting to write a new book, using sites such as this as his research), see the similar threads as posted below:
    http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/open-community-forum/5617-two-seater-mustang-coupe-64-a.html
    http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/limited-editions/9062-considered-limited-edition.html
    http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/...575-two-seater-65-mustang-few-more-facts.html
    http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/...two-seater-mustang-convertible-prototype.html

Bill S.

4. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I have since found it has a Falcon Sprint chassis but some of the floorpan is Mustang so I guess it was evolving at that point. It is not owned by Ford, though. I guess then the first Mustangs would be the rally cars sent to Europe--I don't remember how many but it's all on a website called Ponycar.de

5. TransamEd

TransamEd Well-Known Member

Wally, the "running" Mustang II was made and finally built with a rolling chassis by Dearborn Steel Tubing and talented designer and fabricator Vince Gardner worked on that one as he did on the Mustang 2 seater.
    Gary Witzenburg gives some insight into the history in his book "The complete story of America's Pioneer Ponycar".

Acc. to Bob Frias research (in his book Mustang Genesis, (page 99-109) the tag X 8902-SB-208 was put on one of the early Mustang prototype bodies, which were built after April 1963. But this one rather in August 1963. Witzenburg called it a pre-series protoype already in his book.

The modified 1963 1/2 Falcon chassis itself was just used for taking dimensions before being returned to Ford for something else acc. to Bob Fria. First pictures of the running Mustang II in the styling studio were done on Sept. 19th, 1963.

Hope this helps. Mark Gustavsons future book on the X-bodies of Ford and L-M may also give some more insight, when he can finally finish it. Browse for the Lynx project and you find his website.

The Mustang II was owned by Ford, later donated to the Detroit Historical Museum, later rented to the Owls museum. More in Frias book.