Join Shelby Forums Today

K&N cold air system

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by YLDRIDE, May 12, 2013.

1. YLDRIDE

YLDRIDE Member

Do I have to do a tune if I install a K&N cold air intake system on my 2007 GT500?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Indycar9M1081

Indycar9M1081 Member

In my experience, yes you will need to have the car tuned for the CAI. I recently bought a 2008 GT 500 that had been lightly modified with full exhaust, a SC pulley, and a K&N CAI. When I did the deal I had the dealership remove the mods, but since the original owner no longer had the OEM air cleaner assembly, I let them slide on the CAI. They removed the tune that had been put in the car for the mods, leaving only the stock settings in the car's computer. As soon as the car came up to operating temperature it threw a code turning in the CEL. The car would sometimes die at stop lights, and would surge at part throttle, though is was still driveable. I took it to a local dealer with an SVT tech to have the CEL reset and to be sure the computer had no aftermarket tune left in it. The tech told me I was lucky the car ran as good as it did, and that I would continue having issues with it until I got the OEM air cleaner assembly back on it. I found and installed an OEM assembley the next day, and the car hasn't missed a beat or died since. The CEL also remains off.

3. YLDRIDE

YLDRIDE Member

Thanks Indycar.