Join Shelby Forums Today

1966 GT 350 main caps question

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by octoberglory, Apr 25, 2013.

1. octoberglory

octoberglory Active Member

Greetings, I have the original main caps to the engine, not the block. Has anyone had any success using these caps on a different block? The tech I spoke to said it would be difficult since the caps weren't cast with the block. Is line boring the way to go and will it work? I'd appreciate your input. Thank you

2. gjz30075

gjz30075 Well-Known Member

Yes, if you put main caps on a block from which they did not originate, you'll have to have it line bored. Or maybe the terminology is align bored.

Greg Z

rshelby likes this.
  3. octoberglory

Thanks Greg. Have you done this before and if so, how did it turn out? Tom

4. gjz30075

gjz30075 Well-Known Member

I've not had to have this done before but I have friends who have. No problems. The machine shops used were exemplary and done on Lotus engines. Concept is the same, however.

Greg Z

5. octoberglory

Thank you for the information. Now I can move ahead with this project. All the best, Tom

6. BillH

BillH Well-Known Member

As a rule, main caps are not cast with the block. The HiPo caps will have to be fitted to your block by a machinist who knows what he is doing. Seek out a GOOD machine shop and be sure that they understand that you are replacing the main caps. Make sure that they have an align boring machine.

7. octoberglory

Thank you for the information, Bill. I'll make sure the engine builder knows what he's doing.