Join Shelby Forums Today

Are 67 Shelby's bodys immersed in red oxide primer or sprayed in area's ?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by motorhead, Apr 18, 2013.

1. motorhead

motorhead Member

I am restoring my 67 GT 500 #00185 and someone said that the body's were immersed in red oxide primer at the factory. I have read many threads on this site and have only read about spraying the red oxide in certain area's. Can any one help to clarify and or provide details of the proper area's to spray with the red oxide primer. Thank You in advance. Almost newbe. Rick

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Sprayed on, Jeff I am sure will respond with the specific details of where.

Bill S.

3. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

+1 there are many areas that are left bare metal because they didn't get sprayed like under the dash , in the upper innerstructor of the trunk (above trap door) and other interior innerstructures. Basically all hard areas to get to with a gun. Jeff is better at elaboratinig on the specific paint practices at San Jose.

4. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

Hi again Rick... you'll find that most of the major forums are visited by the same small group ;)

As mentioned no the cheap cars (Mustangs, falcons .....) were not dipped like the more expensive vehicles (T bird, Lincolns.....)

Got to ask more questions before allot of answers ;)

1- Are you planning a Concours future for your car or just want a really nice car?

2- How will you protect or coat the bare metal (guessing you have already stripped the body - hope you didn't blast or dip it )?

3- Are you interested in where the red oxide will be visible after the car is completed or plan on reproducing all the steps (galvanized frame rails and dolly marks for example) as you go through the process?

4- Have you read some of the post (using the search feature) over on the ConcoursMustang.com site for what has already been discussed?

That's a start. You can follow up here or there

J_Speegle