Join Shelby Forums Today

1965 Restoration

Discussion in 'General Website Info & Help' started by Ralphsinc, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Ralphsinc

Ralphsinc Member

Hey everyone.. I need some help with your opinion...I just bought a 1965 GT350 "clone" that was done to 98 % all original Shelby specs, with NOS and repodution parts, with all correct markings , ect.... The car only has 37,000 original miles.. The car is set up as a early #s car with battery in trunk, ect.. The car started out as a Wimbledon white, San Jose built, K code, 4 speed , and was turned into a GT 350 early in its life... The car just finished a complete engine and bay restoration , body and paint, all outside trim, and trunk to concourse spec condition...The interior is original and has not been restored,is nice , but is not perfect ...Seats show age but are clean, same with carpet , Ray brown seat belts same... All the interior is nice and clean and presentable , but not crisp and sharp like rest of car. I would say the interior is a 6 on a 1 to 10 scale , and the rest of the car is a 9... The interior shows about 37,000 miles on it , but it is 45 years old. It does have new door panels , insterment panel, and the dash pod...If I replace the seat covers and side aluminum seat moldings , dash pad, and seat belts with new ones the interior would match the rest of the car better..I just don't know if the car has more value with original interior parts that are nice , but not perfect , or is the value better with newer interior pieces that match the rest of the car ??? I value everyones opinions... Thanks for all your help guys.......Ralph

2. SFM6S087

SFM6S087 Well-Known Member

Re: 1965 Shelby GT 350 Restoration question help ( keep original interior or restore

Your car, your choice. But you asked for opinions so here goes. I’d freshen the interior to match the rest of the car. It’s a clone so it’s already been modified quite a bit. I see no value in keeping a worn interior just because “it’s original.” I think the car will be more fun to own and more valuable if the condition of the interior matches the high quality of the rest of the car. How about posting some pics when you get a chance?

Steve

3. Ralphsinc

Ralphsinc Member

Re: 1965 Shelby GT 350 Restoration question help ( keep original interior or restore

Steve...Thanks for your input.....That is kind of what I am leaning towards doing...I will get some photos on here soon,,,just doing some last little restoration things to it...small details...... If any one else wants to share there opinion , please chime in.....Thanks....Ralph

4. Brian K. Green

Brian K. Green Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. Its your car so do what you want. A new and fresh interior can't hurt the value at all. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

5. Ralphsinc

Ralphsinc Member

Thanks Brian for the feedback...I took your advise and just ordered new original seat inserts, and Ford tooling dash-pad..I will keep the old parts so that if I ever sell the car they can have them as well.........:D

6. Ralphsinc

Ralphsinc Member

Brian great job on your 1966 carry over GT 350....Wow nice work on it !!!......Ralph

7. Brian K. Green

Brian K. Green Well-Known Member

Thank you!:cigar: