Join Shelby Forums Today

Lone Star: who advertised it in Competition Press?

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by bitzman, Apr 9, 2013.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I always thought it was on a used car lot before it was found before the present owner but now found out it was advertised in Competition Press, the predecessor to Autoweek. I wonder what the price was (I am guessing maybe $7000 to $10,000?) and if anyone has the ad? I'd like to trade some old photos from Shelby American for a good copy of the ad. I wonder how the person bought it--maybe Shelby sold off all their remaining projects, parts and stock and it was thrown in with that. I look forward to the day when the finished car appears at Monterey or some similar venue. I saw it in person at a shop in Hollywood, I think around 1965, must have been there for some temporary repair.

I never heard who the designer was--it's not like the Daytona coupe that was publicized from Day One as Pete Brock's design.

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

CLICK HERE for your answers

3. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

" I'd like to trade some old photos from Shelby American for a good copy of the ad."

cobra-3-lonestar-08.jpg

Want to know where to send the old SA photos?
    ;)

4. bitzman

So I guess the "used car picture " in Motor Trend was a spoof?

Wow, that's a great ad. Though $15,000 seems high for that time, that's twice the price of a new 427 Cobra back then for a car with no proven record, no portfolio to speak of.
    Motor Trend ran a 2 or 3 page story on the Lone Star where they showed at least one picture of it in a used car lot which made me think it was kicking around used car lots . I am not used to Motor trend cracking wise so I didn't realize that was a joke shot (as they have done a few times since with rare cars). So it really did go from Shelby-American to the present owner--which makes it a one-owner car!

I could call the Lone Star the last car developed by Shelby American in the original era but was also this race car designed by Len Terry for Shelby, mid-engined, at least two built, that I saw at an auction in Newport Beach decades ago. Can't remember the name of it, but it only turned a few laps in one race and that was it. Vintage racers tried to sort it out years later. I don't know what the chassis plate said, if it was identified as a Shelby, or Shelby-American or what? That might qualify as the "last race car" built by Shelby. I think of the name "Cougar" but that wasn't it, something close to that, not "Coyote" either.

5. bitzman

I notice Len Terry wrote a book; trying to find out if this last Shelby race car ...

is mentioned. I don't know if he mentions the losing designs...
    it is called

Racing Car Design and Development
    by Len Terry and Alan Baker
    This book contains information from one of the world's most
    experienced race car designers on the theory and technique of
    race car design and development. Explains the procedure for
    going from a sketch pad to the race track and explains design
    considerations including the theoretical aspects of oversteer
    and understeer and their practical implications, structural
    considerations including space frames, monocoques and
    structural engines, suspension layout and changing needs
    including self leveling, torsion bar, anti-dive and anti-squat,
    progressive rate springing and stiffness to weight ratio,
    brakes, wheels and tires, aerodynamics from basic
    considerations to wings, spoilers, intake ram effect and ground
    effect vehicles, cooling systems, safety, driver comfort,
    materials, components and future developments. This is a book
    that no one building a race car should be without.

Special Order - Usually Ships in one to three weeks!

Condition: New
    Hardbound
    5.5 x 8.5-inches
    258 Pages
    37 Photos
    Item: X080
    Price: $39.95