Join Shelby Forums Today

Ferrari Testa Rossa with 427 FE, supposedly installed by Shelby American

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by bitzman, Apr 9, 2013.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I talked to an old guy who collects Ferraris and he told me his Testa Rossa (which he has since sold) had a 427 FE installed by Shelby American. I find it hard to believe that during the hayday of Shelby that they could take time off from building road and race cars to do this installation. Also the 427 must weigh about 200 lbs. more than an alloy block alloy heads 3-liter V-12. But the guy is an unimpeachable source, (has made millions with old Ferraris!) so I'm asking does anyone remember hearing of this car? Not to be confused with a Ferrari 750 Monza (originally with four cylinder Ferrari engine) that had a Chevy in it that was kicking around the shop in Dallas that Shelby had with Dick Hall.

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

More fairy tales spun, sorry.

3. bitzman

Not by Shelby but it was a 427 now I wonder if installer was Shelby American employ?

On another website, something VRL (vintage racing League?) there is a short article that says some private mechanic named Bob Sanders of Covina CA installed the engine and it was indeed a 427 but I haven't found out which 427, side oiler or what? I don't know if Sanders ever worked for Shelby American.
    And that the car when converted had a Corvette differential. Of course the T-10 if it had that as a trans was used in both Cobras and Corvettes. The article did not have an underhood picture though.

I am glad I believe in fairy tales because I found two more stories on it as well...

The day the $16 million Ferrari got a Ford V-8 | Hemmings Blog
    The day the $16 million Ferrari got a Ford V-8. ... A Ford V8 in a Ferrari? That’s almost getting into the old ‘Chevy in a Ford’ love-hate relationship.
    blog.hemmings.com/.../10/03/little-old-ferrari-from-covina - Cached

CR4 - Blog Entry: The $16-Million Ferrari With the Ford V-8
    The $16-Million Ferrari With the Ford V-8 ... toss the Ferrari V-12 and install a junkyard Ford V8 ... Got Something to Say?
    cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/17903/The-16-Million... - Cached

4. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Re: Not by Shelby but it was a 427 now I wonder if installer was Shelby American empl

yet a backyard conversion and not one done at SAI

5. bitzman

the buyer of the car told me it was an expert installation but still I am sure the iron block Ford with iron heads and iron intake manifold (unless it had an aluminum intake) outweighed the Ferrari v-12 by 300-400 lbs. I was hoping it was done by a mechanic at Shelby but have not found out if he was a former employee or what they did with the 427 after they bought it. I know Shelby-
    american took on side projects such as the fitting of a 260 V8 to a sunbeam Alpine that became the tiger ($10,000 job). But that was with Ford's blessing as Ford eventually sold Rootes some 7000 V8 engines