Join Shelby Forums Today

ignition key

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by AwPinales, Mar 22, 2013.

1. AwPinales

AwPinales New Member

Hello forum,,,
    Quick question, trying to replace my ignition barrel tumbler on my 66 clone,, ( i have lost the key) Is it best to drill it out, or is there a better way?
    Thanks,
    AwP

2. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

No drilling required. You can get the complete key and barrel replacement from most classic Mustang parts vendors (NPD, Virginia Mustang, Larry's Mustang, Dallas Mustang, California, etc.) Use the end of a paper clip to push in the small hole above the key insert to rotate and remove the barrel. Any Mustang restoration book will have the information. Very easy to do.

B)

rshelby likes this.
  3. AwPinales

AwPinales New Member

I knew you could do that with the key, but didn't know it also worked without the key! Off to try it!

4. gjz30075

gjz30075 Well-Known Member

I never tried without the key. Please report back.

Greg Z

5. AwPinales

AwPinales New Member

I was called out to work,,before I could try it. I will be home tonight, and will try it first thing but have my doubts. Logically it doesnt work,,, that would mean anybody could steal your car just by a paperclip and a new lock cylinder. THe 60's were a simple time, but not that simple.
    I will give it a try, but in the meantime, does anybody have any other ideas for when I report this one has failed?
    The only thing I can think of will destroy the entire ignition switch and tumbler. Honestly to me this is fine, as long as the dash isnt hurt in the process. It is seemingly obvious that I am going to have to face it and replace the entire assembly.
    AwP

6. AwPinales

AwPinales New Member

Just as I thought,,, you have to have the key. Will report once its all fixed up!,.
    AwP