Join Shelby Forums Today

Suspension modification

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by vertible, Feb 4, 2013.

1. vertible

vertible New Member

I had so much fun with the 2013 Mustang GT I bought that when I had a chance a couple of weeks ago to buy a 2011 Shelby convertible I jumped at it. I am having more fun in a car than I've had since I was 16 but I would very much appreciate it if some of you could give me some advice on strengthening the handling characteristics at the rear end of this car; feels a bit slippery back there! Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. rickibrat2

rickibrat2 Member

That year I really do not know.

I do have a 1996 Mystic cobra I picked up the end of the year with 50000 miles on it that I am going through right now just because it waddles when I was driving it.

While I have used other companies in the past and their kits this time I made the choice to rebuild all the suspension with all Steeda Part's.

Just the change to the frame stiffeners made a big difference in the way the car handles next week the rest of the stuff in going on the car.

I wanted to do all the bottom stuff before I have the car repainted. Mamy use of the car is just playing in the cannons around here with a few others that enjoy it also.

3. rickibrat2

rickibrat2 Member

I am going to change the panhard bar and the brace on my car in the next month or so, after playing on one of the back roads around her while it stays pretty flat and stable
    taking a left-hand turn, it wants to drift on the same turn when the turn is to the right.

And I very much like the Steeda parts over those made by other companies

4. jnoel

jnoel New Member

I have a 2010 GT500 VERT with significant Suspension modifications. As far as "slippery" I am not 100% sure what you mean but I will go ahead and assume you are referring to grip and traction. Even though you have a convertible, I can assure you that you can make your car as much of a corner carver as you probably would like. My GT500 Coupe friends that have driven my car would attest to this (other than a really bad choice I made recently on tires that is being rectified)

If you are looking to lock down the back end the lower and upper control arms should be replaced along with the requisite relocation brakets. You also may want to look into new front and rear sway bars. Thats the start. In 2010 the GT500 verts were given very poor shocks/struts and springs. The ride hight was terrible. I am not sure what you have for a stock suspension but this is another area to look at.

This is what I ended up doing with my suspension:

Tokico D-Spec Shocks/Struts
    Complete BMR Suspension:
    -Lowering Springs
    -Front and Rear Sway Bars
    -Billet Lower Control Arms
    -On-car Adjustable Upper Control Arm
    -A-arm support brace (best 70$ i have ever spent on my car
    -Weld-in Sub-frame connectors
    -On car adjustable panhard bar and brace
    -Driveshaft tunnel brace
    -Of course all the relocation brakets needed as well

In the end everything was bolt on with no modifications with the exception of the subframe connectors. Car handles amazing. I am considering new a-arms and a K-member up front but only for weight reduction as the 2010 has the iron block. You dont have that issue as your engine block is aluminum and already something like 100lbs lighter than mine out front. FWIW, Kelly over at BMR was awesome to work with, really knows his stuff and wont sell you something he does not think will help you out.

I HOPE THIS HELPS

5. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

You might want to check with the Shelby Performance Shop and see what they advise for your SGT based on what type of driving you will be doing.

6. 007snake

007snake New Member

not to highjack this thread, but I thought this might be a good place to ask this question:
    I have done all of this as well-OP, you will not believe the difference it will make. I put on Eibach pro springs and now that I went to 20" CS40 wheels I am stuck with not being able to put on drag radials without lifting the rear and front of the car. I currently have 27" tall tires and the smallest diameter dr is 28.58. I ordered the Eibach height adj. coilover system put on the supersnakes and now I am concerned that it will make the ride more stiff. I really like being able to adj the d-spec shocks and struts.