Join Shelby Forums Today

twin paxton cobra, history before Barrett Jackson

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Dec 16, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I saw the car in a shop in Simi Valley decades ago.
    It was black. So that makes me wonder what color it was when Shelby drove it.
    Also I saw the car at the auction where it was sold in Arizona but lighting was dark in the tent,
    did Shelby bother to have speedometers on both sides (it had dual instrumentation). I wonder what the speedometer read to?

I have heard there was a plaque on it, didn't look for it something like "This car is faster than anything Steve McQueen owns." Is that right?
    finally where did the IRS who confiscated it from the songwriter who owned them money run the full page ad for it. I thought Hemmings but couldn't find it and I was wondering if anybody knows what the selling price was and who bought it from them. I figure they would be happy to sell it at any price, at that time big blocks were below $200,000.

Did you know Cluxton invited Shelby to drive it from Cluxton's shop to the auction? I missed that shot of Shelby driving into the auction with it...

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

I thought you said you saw it at Mike Fennel's shop .

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

That was the shop. I couldn't remember the name. Incidentally the songwriter also had a
    XKSS Jag, that was the streetgoing version of the D-type. I can't remember the price of the Cobra in the full page ad I saw, maybe under $200,000 or maybe it had no price as it was being offered for open bid.