Join Shelby Forums Today

Sunbeam Tiger - to the british owner, what was it called in Europe?

Discussion in 'Shelby Limited Editions' started by bitzman, Dec 11, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Somewhere I thought I saw a ref. that it wasn't called the Tiger in Europe. Was it the Sunbeam V8? What about the three LeMans coupes, did they say Tiger on them in chrome script. Thanks for your info.

2. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

I have seen them called Sunbeam Harringtons as well as Sunbeam Le Mans Tigers with the Tiger script on the side of the front fenders. They were the fastbacks in British Racing Green.

3. TransamEd

TransamEd Well-Known Member

I think they were called Sunbeam Tigers as well over here. My brother intended to buy one in the early 70ies. We had both a look at it and drove around. Racing green, good punch. Just the car was already a bit weak in its structure for our taste, so we did not buy it. I remember it was at least advertised as a Sunbeam Tiger. No pics taken, sorry.

4. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

X2, marketed (with the wheel on the "proper side" :D ) as the Sunbeam Tiger in the UK and Germany as well.

5. TransamEd

TransamEd Well-Known Member

Wait, the steering wheel thing made me think again... I have to correct myself. Actually we looked back then at a british real Tiger with the steering wheel on the right hand side. It was not cheap and advertised for a long time for 5500 dollar roundabout.

In researching further this topic with articles actually the Tiger version had to be called Alpine 260 in Germany (only) due to namerights that were owned by another company. (like with the Mustang, that had to be marketed as T-5).
    In fact it was again Krupp, which sold Mustang and Tiger trucks back then.