Join Shelby Forums Today

Need help identifying/authenticating original Daytona Coupe painting by G. Bartell

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by acn250, Dec 7, 2012.

1. acn250

acn250 New Member

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am hoping some knowledgeable Shelby folks can help me out, or put me in touch with someone who can.

The automotive museum where I work recently received a donation of a piece by George Bartell depicting a Shelby Daytona Coupe in the pits at Sebring. I have reason to believe it is the original painting, but do not know for sure. The image was featured on the cover of Sports Car Graphic in June of 1964, but I can't find any other reference to the image. The piece is framed and has a receipt on the back of it from 1985 for the sum of $1,500. I could really use some more info and what kind of price to expect if we were to sell it on eBay. I think this is a real gem, but I want to be absolutely sure and have the whole story before we put it on the market. I have attached the images below. I can provide more pictures at any time.

DSC_0008.jpg DSC_0009.jpg DSC_0010.jpg DSC_0011.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Re: Need help identifying/authenticating original Daytona Coupe painting by G. Bartel

Andrew,

Peter Brock has a signed litho from the same artist for sale on Ebay for $495

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190758467714

Bill S.

3. acn250

acn250 New Member

Re: Need help identifying/authenticating original Daytona Coupe painting by G. Bartel

Bill,

Thanks for that. Gives me a sense of roughly what's out there. I had thought that the piece in our possession was a lithograph or some other limited print at first, too, but the four figure sale price on it from over twenty-five years ago, and the fact that I can find no other examples of this image after thorough searching have given me the hunch that this is an original painting. I think my next step is to take it to someone that knows art who may be able to tell if it is the original work (brush strokes, etc.)
    Thanks again!

Andrew

4. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

As you mentioned, I think it would be best to take it to an art appraiser to determine exactly what it is. I wouoldn't necessarily expect them to give an accurate value but the right person should be able to tell you exactly what the artwork is, ie. how it was created, whether original or not.
    Randall