Join Shelby Forums Today

2007 shelby gt 500 as an investment???

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by fedmandoo, Jun 12, 2005.

1. fedmandoo

fedmandoo New Member

I have always wanted a classic mustang as a "fun car" /Sunday driver. I'm really not a "motor head" per se but love the mustang particularly the fastback. Who doesn't right?? I’m looking for a car to drive occasionally and not spend my time under the hood tweaking it every weekend. I've been researching the new 2007 Shelby and I'm looking for peoples options on if this car would be something that would retain if not increase in value over the years. I'm not interested in buying a stang for the intent purpose of gaining a profit on it if I sell down the road many years later but, just curious if people think the 60's version verses the 2007 would be the better buy.
    Thanks and I look forward to everyone’s feedback
    Fedmandoo

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

In my opinion, the 60's Shelby Mustangs have proven to be a good investment. They have had their ups and downs but you can look and see how their prices have gone up over the last 35 years. If you buy one now, just watch out not to overpay. As for the 2007, I don't think you can count on any appreciation or speculate on the purchase from an investment perspective until we at least know how many will be built. I have heard rumors of a limited production but also heard that Ford will build as many as they can sell. Hopefully we will know more about the 2007 GT500 production numbers very soon.

3. J.Bailey

J.Bailey Well-Known Member

I'm not very good at much of anything but ....

investing. If you want a fun, reliable, sexy, sporty automobile which is ALSO a good investment then do not buy any car that is still being manufactured by the Big 3. If priced reasonably and with the Shelby name plastered all over it Ford could very easily sell hundreds of thousands of these cars. Think about it. It could be decades before the 2007 models start appreciating. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth.

4. Magstar

Magstar Well-Known Member

Will the new Shelby have a different SER # or a unit NO# added I think this will affect the collector value in years to come.

5. CSX375

CSX375 Well-Known Member

IMHO, if your a self proclaimed non-motorhead, I say go with the 2007. It will be warenteed (right?) so if something screws up, you can still drive your baby next sunday. Of course production numbers will determine value down the road, so wait for that before you make any "investment" choices.

But who knows, the bottom could fall out of this muscle car monopoly that is going on right now with big name preformance cars, and all of our Shelby's could plumit below the $10,000 point. I think it would be intresting to see how many people would stop wanting their cars if they wern't so elitely priced.

jim

6. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

I would not count on it for some time. I think the production numbers are going to be too great for you to consider it an investment. If you look at the Cobra R, which is the best performing mustang Ford has ever produced, it originally sold for about 55K and now you can get them for well under that, and they made only 300!! Soon you will see the Ford GT selling for retail. IF, the cars go up in value it will be many years from now. IMO, if you are considering buying one, like myself, just try to enjoy it.

7. fedmandoo

fedmandoo New Member

thanks for all the feedback so far. I am not counting on this car as a retirement plan but, an increase in value verses a decrease (which all cars do) would be a bonus!! I want one to have fun in first!! looking forward to following the info on this soon to be released shelby.
    Fedmandoo
    :thumbsup:

8. Seaweed

Seaweed Well-Known Member

I think,IMO what you describe,for ME would be a rousch,saleen,steda, etc. 2006 mustang as opposed to a shelby. Those type of cars would give more bang for the buck. whenever you sell them. [ even if they do cost a little more ] .They don't produce in mass #'s, where ford will sell as many as they can, thus reducing the value somewhat on a future sale of the car. --Just my 2 cents.---S.

9. KenG.

KenG. Well-Known Member

Wow, I strongly disagree! More bang for the buck? A stock Saleen is 43K with 300/Hp. At 40K A Shelby is going to have close to 500! How did you ever come to that conclusion? As far as the name is concerned, Steve Saleen isn't fit to tie Carrolls shoes. Sorry for the enthusiasm...

10. Seaweed

Seaweed Well-Known Member

What I was trying to get across, was the fact that if you build a large # of a certain type of car, it's not going to apprec. like a limited edition model. When Shelby was building the 65-67 models they were not in great #'s, but he made a buck doing it. Ford cannot make such a limited model & make money from it. I see late model mustang cobra's all the time @ car shows,& cruise nights,it's just another mustang, Once in a while this rousch mustang comes around, & you can't get near the car because of the crowd. These after market cars,[ like shelby in his day ] have to offer something more & better than the factory cars in order to sell theres. I have seen pictures of the proto type shelby mustang a year or so ago & is alot diff. than the one that I'm seeing now. Who knows what the H.P. will be in the final form. These after market builders usualy wait & see what ford will come out with before offering a version of there own.---S.

11. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Randall's assessment on this topic. this is a wait and see type of situation. I know of Anniversary Corvette Pace Cars that people went and Bought and stored away with under 50 miles on the odometer. they would have been better off putting their Cash in the Stock market. I am betting that FORD will sell as many of these as they can. Production only being limited to the amount of People willing to Buy One. Or Two for that matter. There are so Many Fans Of Shelby and lets face it, when will you ever again be able to Buy a New Shelby Mustang??

12. fugazzi

fugazzi New Member

Wow alot of good points on this topic. There are some things to keep in mind. They are only planing on around seven thousand cars a year. They could jump up a few but look at the unanswered demand on the GT, it would be difficult for them to pump out tens of thousands of these specialty cars. By the time the initial shock and awe is gone most peaple who really want the cars will have them. They will probably make the car for three years before a change, wich will probably drop the shelby name. SVT will enjoy the publicity for awhile and then want to seperate the two identities. If they make them for three years, the first being the strongest and the last being the weekest, I would assume that the 7k a year figure will probably average itself. leaving somewere around 21k out there. There were aprox 12k in the 60's. Given the population inflation i think that works itself out just about right. You will have people wrecking these things left and right. Look at the power to price ratio. You are going to have some real goobers behind the wheel (No offense to any Goobers). And keep in mind that todays younger people are seimg the beginnig of another muscle car era. We are getting alot more horses in all the newer vehicles. If you look at the new cars coming out, you can see the big three are starting to compete again in this area big time. As far as colectability. This will be your LAST CHANCE to buy a new Shelby mustang. That alone makes it the chance of a lifetime. I really think that insurance and the government will step in with all the power in these new vehicles being released to the masses and it will all be over except the crying. History will repeat itself. IMO

13. R. La Barre

R. La Barre Well-Known Member

Fugazzi, I think your line of thinking is pretty much on the money. Not only will this probably the last new Shelby available, it may be the last Shelby-Mustang ever. When the man is no longer w/ us what do you think will happen to supply & demand ecomonics? A friend of my son bought an '05 Saleen in FL and was called a month later by the dealer who offered him $1500 more than what he paid; supply & demand. I don't know why he gave it up, but the fact that he did tells me something.
    The way I look at it, you can't get this much performance for the price any where else. Whether the GT500's value goes up or down, which is unlikely, it is going to bring me miles of smiles. Rusty :thumbup:

14. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

:confused:
    The '93 Cobra R (107 made) has held up well. It's worth about what it cost to buy one. You'll have to ignore the "opportunity cost" of the money over 12 years. (but you can't ride around in opportunity costs :alarm: )

The '95 Cobra R is worth ~60% of the purshase price (MSRP + tax).

The '00 Cobra is also worth ~60% of the purchase price (MSRP + sales tax).

I'd say that the Ford GT will be worth about 60% of it's purchase price in ~5 years.

I hope I am not klinked but has everyone seen the link to GT prices?
    FordGTprices.com
    Could the new $66K Z06 hurt the new GT's value?

15. portside

portside Member

I have placed money with an SVT dealer in March 2005 on the first 2007 Shelby GT 500 that I can possibly get my hands on. A GT 500 as an investment?
    Yes, an investment in:

-Burn-outs on the way to work
    -Having fun driving again
    -Watching the aftermarket go wild over your new car
    -An opportunity to own a Shelby Mustang
    -Burn-outs on the way home from work

Doubtlessly, many of these cars will go directly into storage. This will only make my driven car that much rarer on the road. Let the Viper and Vette buyers keep their cars low mileage. I plan to drive the rear wheels right off of my car, while supporting the aftermarket companies in a chassis dyno assault. This may not add up to an investment in some people's eyes, but I am investing in my lifelong hobby. When Ford announced the GT 500, I couldn't sell my old car and parts quickly enough. A true factory hot-rod Shelby Mustang is everything I could ask for in a new car.

16. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

That's what I like to hear!!!

17. R. La Barre

Right on, portside! I'm planning on having almost as much fun getting to SAAC & SVT events as attending them.

18. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

To me that is what it is all about. Having fun with the cars. When I get mine I may even make it a dailly driver and let someone else restore it 40 years from now.

19. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

I'll agree (make that 4 of us). I can't take 'em with me and the kids will just sell 'em. I say run the tires off (on the track, of course).
    :guns:

20. R. La Barre

Yup. That's the ticket. Students have asked me if they'll see it in the teacher's parking lot; absolutely. I plan to drive it regularly, except during snow/salt season, until they take my license away. I don't think my son would sell it. He might get it in 30 or so years. :dance: