Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby clone vs Original Shelby attitude.

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by rotorshawn, Nov 27, 2012.

1. rotorshawn

rotorshawn Member

Hello all. I have a question. I've looked through many forums and I seem to get the impression that if you own a real Shelby and post on a Shelby forum, the Shelby owners members are not very excited about the clone cars on the Shelby forums... Is this true? I imagine it may be the same in real life, but I was just curious.

Opinions??

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Must be your imagination as most (say 90%) original Shelby owners are true enthusiasts and just appreciate the cars as a whole. Of course there will always be that 10% elitist group that only like what they own (right down to the color, or whether it is a stick or automatic. They are the exception, not the norm.

Bill S.

3. rotorshawn

rotorshawn Member

That's good answer.... I'm glad to see that opinion...

4. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Hey, its your car. You can do what you like.

I draw the line when someone adds an identification tag to the vehicle. That is misrepresentation in my opinion. You will respond you dont intend to misrepresent your clone. I cant tell you how many times I have spoken to people looking for original cars and are considering clones/tributes etc. It might not be your intention to misrepresent the car, but thats often what it turns into. Leave the original style tag off, just my opinion. If it wasnt made by Shelby, it shouldnt say "made by Shelby" on an identification tag.

Part of the value of real Shelbys is their limited production. If everyone had one, they would be like Corvettes. That could explain why owners want to keep them exclusive. Clones and tributes passed off as originals devalue the originals in many enthusiasts opinion.

If there is another explanation for using the tag, I am open to hear it? One really good example of this is the historically significant example of the Green Hornet. It was restored with a Shelby tag, even though it never had one originally. Now there is a big mess of confusion surrounding the car and its pedigree.

5. rotorshawn

rotorshawn Member

That's a good perspective, but I don't have any lines... I put the Shelby VIN tag on because it was $3 and I needed a new VIN tag anyway, and while I was on the phone with Tony Branda, it was easy....

It is my car and I am more than 100% happy with what it has become, down to the smallest detail...

6. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

I agree with Coralsnake 100 percent. I like the work that enthusiasts put into the replicars/clones. Many do a fantastic job. The parts suppliers have kept hese "tribute" projects going for a long time. But I also draw the line on misrepresentation, whether it be a Shelby Mustang, Shelby Cobra, Corvette, Impala, Charger, Ferrari, etc. The original DNA and legendary history is not changed by a logo, set of stripes, or parts on an engine. I say take pride in the mod, not the lie. Data plates and false VIn tags do not belong on the clone. If it was built by the owner, not Shelby American, that is the wrong thing to put on the car. Otherwise clones are great and should be enjoyed for the ride and shown often!

:cool:

7. rotorshawn

rotorshawn Member

So tell me the difference between a VIN tag that is hidden under the hood and the word Shelby in 5 different places on the outside (visible) part of the car...? Plus.. Carol Shelby happily added his DNA to any dash trim that was sent to him to sign, Shelby or not... To say a VIN tag does not belong on the car is your opinion and it's my choice. The topic of this post is coming out.

8. Coralsnake

Unlike an emblem or stripe, a VIN tag is a legal representation. I hope it was " Carroll " Shelby that signed your dash.
    :laf:

There is yet another example of what we are discussing. He signed so many items his signature is virtually worthless.

9. rotorshawn

rotorshawn Member

Shelby did not sign my dash. My dash is unmarked. My vin numbers (weather on a Ford, Shelby or Tonka plate) still legally represent the origins of my car. The words above the vin have no legal merit. Just an artistic choice. I'm curious why this is such a big deal for you.

10. Coralsnake

Its not a big deal. You asked for opinions. You opened the can of worms. Sounds to me like you are the one defending your choices. Hopefully, it wont ever come down to you defending your choices in court. I have seen that happen too.

If the words have no legal meaning, then I guess all Shelbys are just Mustangs and should be valued the same? Your arguement has no credibility.

11. rotorshawn

rotorshawn Member

My choices were defended in the first part of this thread. It's my car and my choice.. I don't need to defend anything. I'm just curious as to why this is a big deal to you.. It's just an interesting conversation... Thanks.

12. Coralsnake

its not personal, we just disagree....

Let me try one more time. You probably have a twenty dollar bill. It's legally your twenty dollars. It has "your" serial numbers. Can you choose to make photocopies of it? Sure, you can. Is it your "artistic choice" ? Maybe. The words printed on the paper have no real meaning, right?... they are just words that represent an ideal.

Does that make it right? Ethically or legally?

13. rotorshawn

rotorshawn Member

But I'm not going to spend my car.. Look.. you disagree with what I am doing and that is fine. I am so happy with how my car has come out and I love it down to it's wheels, grill and VIN tag... and there is nothing that requires me to make it any other way. There are no repercussions with me, spending my money on my car, doing it my way. It's just the way I want it.. I appreciate your opinions.. I just don't agree with them... Let's be done and move on...

14. 557

557 Well-Known Member

I gotta real one and to me frankly the old adage applies:"imitation is the most sincere form of flattery".That being said misrepresentation is always bad(and potentially illegal)...Not everyone can afford one (luckily I got mine cheap"back in the day")so I have no problem with someone building their own ...and I have seen some SUPER cool ones...The great thing about a clone is you dont have to be a slave to originality....As Sinatra said (paraphrase)you can do it your way.....my 2 cents...Trent:D:D:D:D:D

15. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I agree with Coralsnake, a misrepresented VIN tag does not belong on a tribute/clone. Otherwise, I definitely appreciate one's choice to make and enjoy a clone. :thumbup:

16. OrilliaBoy

OrilliaBoy Member

You can get a fake vin for a made up car? Would it not show up as fake when you run it?
    I understand the concern over drawing down the price of the real ones if there was no way of telling the difference between real and counterfeit.
    Second, why are you on a Shelby forum? Should you not be on the wannabe forum?:p

17. Coralsnake

I dont think we should make this personal. As I said before, its your car and you can make your own choices.

Do a search for John Ondish and/or Demon on Wheels. This guy and his surrogates came online trying to pass off a 390 Mustang as a GT500 KR. He convinced several people that had very little knowledge about such things his car was "real". They invested time and money in his project to make a movie about his car and his experiences. It was pure fabrication. He had a fake Shelby tag with a number he randomly picked out of the Shelby Registry. He also had fake paperwork. He fooled many popular publications. Tell me that doesn't hurt the hobby? It's well documented on the forums. As time progressed, his story changed dramatically. So if you wonder why some people have soured on clones, its people like this that give them a bad reputation....embarassing the less knowledgeable and literally taking money from them for personal gain. Someday, you may need someone that can tell the difference between the clones, tributes and authentic cars.

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=13810.0

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=17368.0

18. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

"Shelby owners members are not very excited about the clone cars on the Shelby forums" Think that the focus on Shelby forums is typically Shelby's rather than copies, that may be why some see it as "not very excited". Discussions in the General discussion areas are typically good natured and normally focus on what did an original Shelby have here or how did they do this. Biggest push back I've seen was when owners of copies were focused on getting and using allot of hard to find original pieces fro their car or when they attemtped to pass them off as original Shelby's.

Just what I've seen

Coming in late to the discussion - if you car was not a Shelby why did you need a VIN tag when there was not one there to begin with or originally come with one???

19. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I can definitely understand the frustration some may have with this type of situation but that's the world we live in and unless the seller of each and every part is interested in questioning each potential purchaser about their intended use and refuses to sell to clone/tribute makers, it's an open market for anyone to buy any part for any purpose. Sure, it's frustrating when you have an original Shelby and your goal is to find original parts for your car and you have to compete with others interested in buying those parts for their clone, which never had those parts in the first place...but that's just the way it is. They can always buy one of those clones and strip all of the original parts off of it and sell the rest of it for scrap metal. :laf:
    Randall

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  20. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

Well rotoshawn, You asked for opinions and your getting them. Obviously, your not thrilled with the responses. I can take a guess or two, as to why you brought this question to this Forum. Your looking for some sort of validation, for your fake/look alike, "Shelby". Simple answer:
    There Is None.

What you fail to realize, is, that it takes more than a fake VIN tag, to make your fake Shelby, "real". What imparts value to a Shelby, is it's history. It's there under the heading: "intangibles". Being a real Shelby, means it was built by Shelby American, during a specific
    time frame to set criteria. No matter how good your car looks, it is lacking "something". And that something is history, which gives a car it's
    pedigree, hence the value of said car.

Legitimacy or history, is more than just a metal tag with numbers stamped on it. Each Shelby, has a unique history, and that is what imparts the value. A hard lesson to learn and your not the first to go down this road.