Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby clone vs Original Shelby attitude.

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by rotorshawn, Nov 27, 2012.

1. 95CobraR

95CobraR Active Member

I think a clone is great. Personally, I wouldn't rivet a Shelby tag on it.

2. springer

springer Well-Known Member

I never understood why anyone would waste a dime making a copy of a Shelby or as we used to call them "counterfeits." I laugh now because they are called clones or, even better - tributes. Anyone can make a copy of an original so I see no value in the car and see them as a total waste of time and money. If I were to modify a vintage Mustang, I would do a restomod or something to enhance the value of the car, such as drive-ability, performance or aesthetics without all the Shelby markings. Adding a Shelby reproduction VIN plate can not be justified and is done only to further deceive people. At shows, one of the most irritating questions I hear asked to genuine Shelby owners is, "is that a real Shelby?"

Also, I disagree with an earlier post and find the the greater majority of Shelby owners do not look favorably at the counterfeit Shelbys. Most are frowned upon!

But, this is just my opinion and your opinion may vary.

3. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

You are right, most of the late model Shelby owners and continuation CSX owners frown upon the clones. :laf:

The rest of us are enthusiasts, some of us can afford the originals, some of us cannot. :rolleyes:

Bill S.

4. ChicagoChris

ChicagoChris Member

Building a clone is up to the individual; to each their own. In a free market, using original parts on a clone is supply/demand.
    I agree with an earlier comment; the problem starts when folks try and represent (and sell) the clone as an original.

5. britishbulldog

britishbulldog New Member

As a relative newcomer to Mustangs and living in England, we see very few classic mustangs and to be frank most folks don't understand/know the differences between each marque, let alone the history of Shelby.........shame I know.

I own a genuine '65 K code FB and recently bought a '66 FB GT350 Clone (this has a lot of original Shelby parts, someone on here may not like that thought:unsure:).

The K code will in all probability sit in my garage and only come out on sunny days (don't get too many of those in England and I can't face the thought of my relatively rare car rusting away before my eyes..). Whereas the clone will be out more often as its meant to be driven hard and in any case drives better than the stock K code.........

Each to their own, however I do think putting a Shelby type VIN tag etc on a clone is not on.
    Chris