Join Shelby Forums Today

Numbers etched on all the parts of my car - 2008 GT500

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by OrilliaBoy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. OrilliaBoy

OrilliaBoy Member

I just bought a 2008 Shelby GT500 and have a question.
    This car has the number YOW5529 etched on the tail lights, headlights, windows, wheels, engine components, even the cap for the rad overflow and the carbon fiber intake tube.
    Anyone know why?

DSCF0697.jpg

2. shlby66

shlby66 Well-Known Member

Probably, the dealer that originally sold the Shelby new, also sold the buyer an "theft protection policy" ( to get a perceived savings on
    car insurance ) which utilizes, a set of characters, etched into windows, mirrors, wheels, etc.

3. OrilliaBoy

OrilliaBoy Member

Thanks, no. Checked that.
    The same number is on the rad overflow cap and the aftermarket carbon fiber intake tube.
    I know this is not factory because the numbers are etched into the American Racing Shelby Special Edition wheels.
    It's got me. I have one more person to ask.

4. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

Could it be the original owners license palte number. It looks like the numbers were put in all areas accessable to sticky fingers at car shows and parking lots. It could have been put on by request to the dealer or by an independent shop.

5. OrilliaBoy

OrilliaBoy Member

This car started out down in the States and was bought up to Canada as a stock Gt500 Shelby. I found a picture of it without the side scoops on an internet car sales site after doing a vin search.
    It was then modified to include the American Racing wheels and the side scoops and the overdrive blower pulleys and the cold air intake.
    It was at this time that the numbers were added. They were put on by whoever built this car.
    I am trying to find out where this was done and if it was documented.