Join Shelby Forums Today

1966 GT350 Convertible For Sale

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by rshelby, Oct 1, 2012.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Have a look at this car for sale on eBay. I know many of you are very familiar with this car. I would like to hear your opinion. Read the description and let us know your thoughts. I realize many of you guys don't like to comment on cars currently for sale but I think this one is worthy of comment. What do you think about this car and the description?

eBay Motors Link 1966 GT350 Convertible

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Saw it back at the palm springs Historics/Shelby roast (20 years ago?) when it was shown to the public for the first time. The owner was trying to get people to lay down a 10,000.00 deposit and then build a car for them.I think he wanted 60,000 back then. I think people saw it for the scam it was and no one but any money down. It didn't have a Shelby tag back then.It appears to be still a nice car from the pictures . I used to see it every year or so when it would run through a auction . It has been the proverbial hot potato someone trying to get rid of it ever few years . It hasn't done the auction circuit for a few years now. I haven't seen this car up close for about ten years . It was starting to show it's age back then . I don't know how it looks in real life now . It looks good in the pictures but pictures can be deceiving. The seller is using the same flim flam fabricated information (or what was repeated in over the top auction discriptions) as the original builder who was NOT Shelby. The car is not a genuine Shelby. It was not commissioned by Shelby unlike what is said . Fake tag added by a previous owner who was not Shelby. If you want a nice clone with a interesting history then you might want this car but you better buy it for clone money and not based on the flim flam info. The only reason this car is mentioned in the SAAC registry is to verify that it is NOT a legitimate Shelby. The sellers keep wishful thinking and saying it is genuine and the smart prospective buyers using good sense keep asking SAAC for information verifying it's pedigree . SAAC has to keep saying it is not a legitimate Shelby hence the informitive paragraph discription in the SAAC registry. Unfortunatly this car will forever have to be explained with all of the flim flam details of the poser car that it is . It is a very nice car closer to a 60,000.00 market value IMHO.

rshelby likes this.
  3. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Bob, very eloquently stated. The bottom line of course is that it is not a Shelby, but a replica of questionable nature. Perhaps collectible in it's own strange way, but not anywhere near the price tag the seller wants.

Bill S.

rshelby likes this.
  4. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Since I am not familiar with this car's history, is this a K code car, or an A or C code? If it is a K code with a matching drive train, it could still have a pretty good value as a clone, but certainly not anywhere near its asking price.

Jay

5. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Not a K code for sure . I remember asking back at it's debut. I am not sure what other engine code the Ford VIN showed the original engine as. He had it covered with a blank unstamped 66 shelby tag as I recall. Maybe a 6cyl It doesn't really matter if a 6cyl or 8cyl it is meant as a clone .