Join Shelby Forums Today

Greetings from southern Colorado

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by SoCo66, Sep 25, 2012.

1. SoCo66

SoCo66 New Member

Greetings all:

My name is Patrick and being new to this forum, I'm here to learn all I can about these wonderful pieces of automotive history. Though not a Shelby owner I am a huge fan of the 1st generation (1965-'66) Mustangs and Shelby GT350s. I am the owner of a 1966 Mustang convertible and while I have no plans to turn my car into a GT350 mail-order clone, my hope is to incorporate many of the period correct mechanical improvements of the GT350 in to my project Mustang.

Best regards,
    pws

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Welcome to the site pws. Show us a photo of your '66 sometime.
    Randall

3. SoCo66

SoCo66 New Member

Thanks Randall. Here's a pic of my new pony, "Chell-B"

[​IMG]

While I have no intention of converting this into a G.T.350 clone, my plan is to upgrade many to the mechanicals to period-correct Shelby and/or Ford "Cobra" specs, while maintaining the outward appearance as a mostly stock plain-Jane Mustang.

To this point I have completed the following mods/upgrades:
    • Replaced single-bowl brake master cylinder installing dual-bowl master cylinder
    • Relocated upper control arms (AKA Shelby/Arning drop)
    • Replaced stock Pitman/idler arms installing Shelby quick steering kit
    • Replaced stock front sway bar installing 1” sway bar w/ poly bushings
    • Replaced stock front springs installing progressive-rate coil springs
    • Installed Monte Carlo bar
    • Removed points/condenser installing PerTronix Igniter II electronic ignition
    • Replaced stock air cleaner installing open “Hi-Po” air cleaner (to accommodate Monte Carlo bar installation)
    • Replaced stock steering wheel installing Grant Classic Wood steering wheel
    • Replaced stock “corral” grille emblem installing Shelby G.T.350 “running horse” grill emblem
    • Replaced stock AM radio/dash speaker installing Custom Autosound USA630 AM/FM stereo with iPod interface and Kenwood in-dash & 6” kick panel speakers

In process is replacement of stock exhaust manifolds with ceramic-coated Tri-Y headers; replacement of stock single exhaust installing custom 2 1/4” dual exhaust with Flowmaster S40 mufflers/turn-down tips; rebuild of AOD transmission donated from a 1989 Mustang 5.0

Next up:
    • Suspension II - Installation of KYB Gas-A-Just shock absorbers; replacement of stock leaf springs with 1” drop 4.5 leaf mid-eye springs
    • Intake: Installation of Cobra 1x4V hi riser intake manifold, Holley 4V 600-cfm carb, Cobra "open letter" valve covers
    • Transmission: Installation of rebuilt AOD transmission (B&M shift improver kit, Hole Shot 2400 stall TC; flexplate)
    • Rear Axle: Rebuild replacing stock 2.80:1 final gearing w/ 3.55:1

Lots of other plans down the road (cam, heads, eng. cooling, interior, etc.) as time/$ allow...

pws