Join Shelby Forums Today

Looking for the builder or past owner of a Black and Gold 67 Eleanor

Discussion in 'Lost, Found & Looking' started by Westernoz, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Westernoz

Westernoz New Member

I am looking at buying a 67 GT500E that was imported to Australia about 6 years ago.
    7FO2C159231 is the VIN number
    It has side pipes, side gas filler, Ivy gold interior, 5 speed Tremec, 4V Cleveland 351, Dearborn assembled - DSO 63A Body

Unique Performance's name was mentioned but there is no proof and no Shelby world registry plate on the car.
    I have photo's of the car if anyone wants to see them.

2. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Well, do as you wish. But most of us who own a real Shelby will suggest that all the GT500"E" car are just customized Mustangs.

3. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Well, do as you wish. But most of us who own a real Shelby will suggest that all the GT500"E" cars are just customized Mustangs.

4. Westernoz

Westernoz New Member

You are right rodd-stir, they are just customised Mustangs. But I like the look of them more personally. Don't get me wrong, the Shelby's are lovely cars and if it was more of an investment decision they would be the car to go for as far as mustangs go but I don't have the budget to buy one.
    Now back to my original question???

5. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that there will be no world registry plate issued for the car, not ever now that CS has passed away (no matter what you read on anybodys web site), and all of Unique's records are with the bankruptcy courts so there is no way to document whether the car was actually built by Unique or whether it was built in someones backyard garage unless the current seller has the original paperwork. As far as anything else, the car started life as a "C" Code 289 2V, and nothing can ever change that. If the car is what you like and what you want to own, go for it. However, buy it for the enjoyment and not as the investment it appears you expect it to be.

Bill S.

6. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

7. mrmustang

The problem with their logic is that the only "man" who could really approve them is now deceased. Anything else, no matter who approves, and what is "licensed" will never be approved by Carroll Shelby, not ever again. They can write it up and spin it any way they like, but not even the "Unique" GT500E's were actually approved by Shelby, but instead were "licensed" to use the "Eleanor" name attached to the GT500 trademark (and only on a car by car basis at that). Even the trademarked "Eleanor" name is not in the realm of SAI, as Halick's estate has sued for trademark infringement and to the best of my knowledge, a settlement between the two has not transpired one way or the other.

Bill S.

8. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

well stated and true. Unfortunately, the movie car mistique continues without regard for reality. The 500E cars, if well done with whatever engine options, are fairly nice, but need to be checked carefully for safety and quality because of the variety of builders. These styled Mustangs do collect crowds at car shows, but that does not always mean great value. The bottom line is to buy it if you like the look and the ride.

:cool:

9. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

"they claim their "E's" will be in called CR's and in the Shelby registry"

They can claim whatever they want, fortunately, these cars are not in the Shelby American Automobile Club's Registry. I think most people would agree that is the only Registry of any consequence. I guess they just forgot to mention what registry.

10. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

11. ChicagoChris

ChicagoChris Member

WOW! Has anyone looked at the price of these things??

I like their phrase, 'Investment starting at $......'

Hope the folks who buy these cars know what kind of 'Investment' they are buying.

Don't know why they would, but maybe these are listed in the SAAC book??

12. mrmustang

You did not read the fine print at the bottom of their web page :laf:

SHELBY®,CARROLL SHELBY®,The "CS" Logo®,GT-500®,GT-500CR™,Outward appearance (trade dress) of the 1960s SHELBY GT-500 vehicles®,
    are registered trademarks and/or intellectual property of Carroll Shelby and Carroll Shelby Licensing, Inc. and are used under license.
    :doh:

13. mrmustang

Sorry, no and to the best of my knowledge, there are no plans for their inclusion either.

14. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

They have to be referring to a registry that SA is keeping for their late model cars and not SAAC. I am not aware of SA now or in the near future putting out a registry in book form like SAAC has.