Join Shelby Forums Today

should the eleanor cars compete in car shows as true 1967 GT 500 shelbys?

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by Steve67, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Steve67

Steve67 Member

Hi, just looking for a general consensus on this. Should the eleanor cars compete in car shows as true 1967 GT 500 Shelbys? I've seen people do this and win awards. My feeling is that they should not because the cars were not Shelbys in 1967. Even if they were produced by Shelby Automotive they could have not been built untill at earliest year 2000 or so.

Steve67

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Thats easy. They are not 67 Shelby's so how could they compete as such. They are what they are which is a Mustang modified not in 1967 but one that has been modified with in the past 10 years or so . They were not built at SA back in 67 or in recent years . They were not commissioned to be built by SA . Some were built under license by a entirely different company. Most were built by private hobbyists. It is difficult to tell a eleanor made at defunct Unique from the multitude of copy cats. They are not consistent in build quality when compared to a vintage 67 Shelby. Some of the Unique cars are absolutely terrible in quality which has become part of their legacy. Many owners have already restored them at least once :doh: . In a popular vote show anything goes and not necessarily the best car wins. Those are the kind of shows the eleanor cars typically show in and are favorites at. To each their own.

rshelby likes this.
  3. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

+1
    Well said.

4. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

+2, very well stated Bob.

Bill S.

5. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Basic logic seems to be a skill that has departed the building with common sense. As Mr Gaines said, a fake can not be a "true" car.

Having said that, the geniuses that run the local car show can do what ever they like. It's probably why a lot of people stopped going to them a long time ago and why they can't attract quality cars. So, they have painted themselves into this corner of accepting fake Shelbys and having them compete against the one real car that shows up.

6. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

I dont have the energy to answer in detail as Bob so...........................no

7. Steve67

Steve67 Member

Thanks Guys for your valuable input,

I agree whole heartedly. It’s good to know that others agree.

I enjoy attending local shows with my 1967 GT 500 which I have owned for 39 years now. I enjoy meeting with others that show with their originals along with the knockoffs but it really gripes me when someone presents their machine as an original 1967 Shelby GT 500 (but it’s a movie car) and then takes a first place trophy. As I stated before, I’ve seen this happen. Most people don’t even know the difference but we do.

Thanks again,
    Steve67

rshelby likes this.
  8. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

There has to be proper signage and cars put in the right categories

I wouldn't mind Eleanors being present if they were over in an area
    set aside for custom cars, hand built cars, etc. and properly labeled as such ((as modified Mustangs rather than Shelbys). Once the lines get blurred, and they are allowed to be mixed in with genuine Shelbys that owners have treasured and worked on for 30-40 years, well, what is a show-goer unfamiliar with the marque to think--that Shelbys came with 17" wheels, metalflake or whatever else the Eleanor owner has put on his car?
    I just went to the Palos Verdes concours (no Cobras, one Shelby there) and I didn't see any replicas anywhere, and that was a $40 entrance ticket for spectators so at that price I expect there to be some proper separation of the cars so non-car people know what they are looking at (now as to why "non car people" would come to an event, some concours like that one are also social occasions like going to an art show and not everyone has to be an expert to enjoy an art show.

But the real battle is when will replica Cobras be separated into the replica class and not be allowed to be displayed along with real CSX2000 & CSX3000 Cobras just because they might have an engine block from the Sixties?

9. ChicagoChris

ChicagoChris Member

A quality concours will not allow replicas; so no surprise about Palos Verdos.

As others have said, replicas and clones are welcome at 'show and shines' as long as they are identified as such.

10. Steve67

Steve67 Member

Well said folks,

I am going to be more outspoken at shows in my area about distinguishing the difference between authentic cars and replicas. Replica cars can be awesome machines but they should be in classifications of their own. And yes, this should also include the Cobras and spill over to all of the other manufacturers too.

I think we should all encourage this.

Steve67

11. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Too many reasons to list. I am a serial number looker at shows/events andd I carry my registry. Nothing funner than seeing someone mis-representin' with a serial number and I'm looking at my registry reading out loud.... :eek:

12. glhs0075

glhs0075 Member

Short and sweet. NO. They should not be parked near or in the same class as real Shelbys. In fact, Eleanors even being referred to as a Shelby GT500 is one of my many pet peaves. As someone above pointed out, it mis-represents the information/history to the un-informed.