Join Shelby Forums Today

MSN list of ten most valuable cobras

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Sep 11, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

The story has good pictures, but we disagree with some of the MSN writer's choices,especially when he included a replica. Maybe if he would have included the million dollar replica (Kirkham) built for Oracle founder Larry Ellison but it wasn't that car--which is really only significant because of what was paid for it.

http://www.cobra-ranch.com/

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

While I respect everyone's opinion, I must say, there goes that elitist attitude of yours again. If you had watched the creation of the Kirkham, followed the build up with their day to day posts, knew of the trials and tribulations that they had to overcome, you would have far more respect for the end product than what you have stated above. Remember, SAI has and still does use Kirkham for some of their Aluminum continuation series offerings. if it is good enough for SAI, it is good enough for me. But then again, I have first hand knowledge, and did not "overhear it while at this show or that" :laf:

Bill S.

3. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

4. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Also, his "10 Most Significant Cobras" were obviously chosen because those were the ones on display at the Shelby heritage tent in Monterey; Laguna Seca Raceway. A very impressive display whether you agree with them being the 10 most significant or not. I'll post some pictures from this display and other Monterey events soon.

5. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I was at the display and photographed many of them. I was hoping that the MSN author meant by his headline the ones at the display in the tent at Laguna Seca. But toward the end of the article he says it is an overall rating of 1 through 10 as far as significance overall. I don't know if the owners of the real ten most significant Cobras ever built would have all wanted to be included in the tent even if they were invited. There was a rope around the cars but they weren't that impervious to catching a ding if the crowd had been heavier. I think I know how the misinterpretation happened. Journalists often file a story from the field and there is a rewrite man back at the city desk and who writes the headlines. The rewrite man might have seen the phrase "10 best" and chosen that as the headline not knowing the author was qualifying it more finely later on. At any rate, it was a good attempt to get the top ten all-time greats on display --maybe 60-70%--but there were other significant ones not there, ironically many of them out on the racetrack that day so they couldn't be two places at once. Then, too, what is significant to one person isn't necessarily significant to others, for instance "ten most significant Cobra race cars" would be a far different list from say "ten most significant Cobra prototypes" which would include the fiberglass bodied coupe and Bordinat Cobra in Detroit, etc. Maybe the list needs to be "the 100 most significant Cobras"

6. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Wally, I was not aware that a csx4000 car was a "replica"? Clearly that is not the case. Not original, but real none the less.

Best regards,
    Vern